roaming data folder size RRS feed

• Question

• What is is the limit on data size in romaing folder?

Is there a way for the app to know that there is too much data in the folder and it no longer syncs because of that?

Thursday, July 19, 2012 9:57 AM

All replies

• What is is the limit on data size in romaing folder?

Is there a way for the app to know that there is too much data in the folder and it no longer syncs because of that?

You can get this quota using ApplicationData’s RoamingStorageQuota property, which at the time of writing this is 100KB

Read this post fore more info http://blogs.msdn.com/b/windowsappdev/archive/2012/07/17/roaming-your-app-data.aspx

Zubair Ahmed | zubairahmed.net | MetroRssReader.codeplex.com | facebook.com/zubair.ahmed.public

• Proposed as answer by Zubair Thursday, July 19, 2012 10:06 AM
    Thursday, July 19, 2012 10:05 AM
  • A follow up question: are filenames themselves part of the roaming data size that is subject to quota?

Should I worry about creating too many files and therefore running out of quota because of the meta-data associated with each file rather than actual data stored within? Or should I try to consolidate all of the data within a single file to avoid such a scenario?

If I consolidate all data within one file and update only a part of it, how will sync happen? Is it smart enough to recognize that only part of the file has changed or will changing 1 byte in 80kb file cause all 80kb to be uploaded?

What about inserting/removing data from file? Is sync manager smart enough to recognize these cases and update only diffs?

Monday, July 23, 2012 9:55 AM