BitLocker and Windows 8

General discussion

• I was wondering, will you put a 'Lock' button to My Computer window or context menu to make locking BitLocker partitions easier, without resorting to some registry hacks and batch commands.

Thanks.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 12:57 AM

All replies

• I don't think they can / will give any features away of a later release of Windows8 out here on the forum.
    I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Regards,

Dylan Meeus

0x2B |~ 0x2B Blog : www.it-ca.net/blogdylan
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 1:07 AM
  • Hello,

Thanks for the feedback.

Windows 8 currently doesn't support this from the UI. You can still use manage-bde.exe to do this though.

Janani Vasudevan
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 7:41 AM
  • xpclient, that's for drives that are not BitLocker enabled. What I asked for is a button that would lock already unlocked BitLocker partition, which at the moment, you can only lock by typing 'manage-bde -lock x: -forcedismount' in command line. It is just a big turn-off for average user to be bothered with such things, and it's a shame when i suggest BitLocker to such people and they just rather use some archiving software to password protect/encrypt their documents, having to extract everything to be able to use them like human beings, to put it mildly. And that's after thoroughly explaining, step-by-step, how to do it.

It just doesn't make any sense to still not have that simple 'Lock' button implemented in UI in 3rd iteration of Windows that supports the said feature. Not even in 'Manage BitLocker' window. I just feel like biting my nails when I see people restarting their PC to have their protected drives locked after they're done using them.

Currently I'm using custom made context menu item I made via registry that triggers batch command to lock both of my BitLocker partitions, but needless to say, it's really clunky since: a) it only shows up on 1 drive u right-click; and b) well, it is what it is, a bad patch work.

My apologies for the rant-ish post.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 10:35 AM
  • Sorry I thought you were asking for turning on BitLocker for a new drive. Surely, you know of this tweak: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprosecurity/thread/41607938-7452-440d-8253-67fe8657bc0f/. See the third from last post there. But I agree a built-in command on the command bar and Ribbon would be better.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 11:28 AM
  • Yeah that's the tweak I'm using. It does the job but it's still far from perfect.
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 1:26 PM