Suggestions for SmallBasic v.Next RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi, been playing with SmallBasic a few weeks now and really enjoy it. Just some suggestions for next version, in no particular order of importance:

1. Auto-completion of EndIf, EndSub, EndFor etc.

2. A GamePad object.

3. Simple debugger/inspector so you can see the values of variables in real time

4. Ability to publish/export to Silverlight (XBAP) for self-hosting/distribution

5. Ability to delete programs published in error

Keep up the good work.

• Edited by James Sivraj Wednesday, April 21, 2010 11:36 PM Edit to add extra feature request
    • Changed type litdev Monday, May 3, 2010 8:25 PM suggestions rather than question
    Wednesday, April 21, 2010 11:30 PM

All replies

• i like them. nice ideas.
    -Phillip
    Wednesday, April 21, 2010 11:45 PM
  • ~Multi Window Capabilities.

eg: Having Multiple Graphics Windows open at one time, or textwindows.

Could be done with code similiar to VB, but is still very easy for beginners.

Or doing it with something like Shape

Garaphicswindow1 = Graphicswindow.Add(Width, Height)
    Graphicswindow.backgroundcolor(Graphicswindow1, "green")
    or
    Graphicswindow.backgroundcolor(graphicswindow1) = "green"

Just something along those lines. Would open up alot more oppurtunities.

Thursday, April 22, 2010 9:25 AM
  • I have been spending a lot of time converting Small Basic to Visual Basic  to Sliverlight (Control) and really found that it works very well.  I think on my wish list would be the following:

1. From  the silverlight storyboard bring the COMPLETED event to Small Basic.  This would solve the problem of trying to figure out when an animation in Small Basic has finished so that the next one can begin.
    2. Give Small Basic the ablity to talk to SQL express.  Silverlight is using Ling to do this, and it is not well explained, and recomplicated to learn and understand, but again if this was brought from silverlight to Small Basic it would, I believe, complete Small Basic.

Having taken a major project from SMall Basic to Visual Basic to Silverlight, I am an even bigger fan of Small Basic.  In addition to being an excellent teaching tool, I believe that SMall Basic will become an excellent prototyping tool where you can easily play with an idea, then take it to the other extreme SIlverlight without having to rewrite everything from scratch each you move up a level in programing language.

Many thanks to all those who helped me with this project!

Thursday, April 22, 2010 11:50 PM