Why is Visual Studio 2010 so incredibly slow? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I just started using Visual Studio 2010 Premium two months ago and the experience has been downright horrible. It is so incredibly SLOW.

I have developed for years in Java using Eclipse, IntelliJ en JBuilder and some other editors, but I have never encountered an IDE as bulky and slow as Visual Studio 2010. Opening a large project takes about a minute, attaching the debugger to the ISS proces takes seconds every time, searching for text through a project is slow compared to Eclipse, building the project takes minutes.

How do you guys (and girls) feel about VS 10's performance? I'm having a hard time getting used to it and I am actually considering moving to a plain text editor like Notepad++ to see if that will speed up development time. All this waiting is costing our clients money...

I use a pretty new laptop (HP elitebook, I5 cpu, 4 Gig RAM), so that shouldn't be the problem and I've experienced this slow performance since the moment I installed (also takes hours!) it.

Friday, February 11, 2011 10:30 AM

Answers

• Hi Ruben.net,

Thanks for your post.

You are right, VS2010 takes more time than VS2008, I'm not familiar with other IDEs but I think it can be speed up in your environment.

Could you please try to reset all user data by command

devenv /resetuserdata

and run VS in safe mode:

devevn /safemode

to skip all extension, let's see if it is much faster then.

Hope my reply helps more or less.

Best Regards,

Ziwei Chen

Ziwei Chen [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Victor_Chen Friday, February 18, 2011 9:26 AM
    Monday, February 14, 2011 5:19 AM

All replies

• There is a lot of VS is slow threads on the forum and on connect, I still have the same problem as you the IDE is very very slow, despite my computer specs being way beyond the recommended specs.

Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q8300 2.50GHZ
    8 gb of ram
    ATI Radeon HD 5700
    5700 ST3750528AS ATA HD
    VS 2010 sp1 beta

Something that helped speed up the IDE was the plugin that makes VS not use the swap file I forgot the link but just use google if you haven't used it already. But one thing I found out is that the IDE slows down AFTER a find in files has been completed which forces me to close everything and reopen it again.

Something that seems to help is to force VS to garbage collect by doing ctrl+shift+alt+F12 twice.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/camerons/archive/2010/12/15/force-vs-to-garbage-collect.aspx

Sunday, February 13, 2011 9:48 PM
  • Hi Ruben.net,

Thanks for your post.

You are right, VS2010 takes more time than VS2008, I'm not familiar with other IDEs but I think it can be speed up in your environment.

Could you please try to reset all user data by command

devenv /resetuserdata

and run VS in safe mode:

devevn /safemode

to skip all extension, let's see if it is much faster then.

Hope my reply helps more or less.

Best Regards,

Ziwei Chen

Ziwei Chen [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Victor_Chen Friday, February 18, 2011 9:26 AM
    Monday, February 14, 2011 5:19 AM
  • I tried what you suggested above but it is still very slow when I do my project build using VS 2010.

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 7:46 PM