Windows 7 Media Center stops responding during DVD playback Media Player Operates Normally RRS feed

• Question

• After installing Windows 7 RC, Media player seems to operate as designed but has some video delay when playing movies. Most likely a hardware concern with the video card (not enough memory on the video card). However, Media center in Windows 7 stops responding entirely and needs to be shut down and re started.  All drivers seem to be operating normally for the supported hardware. The operatin freezes on a frame in the movie and just sits there. All other applications operate normally and Media Center will respond after a re launch. But it will freeze again. The first occurance was 28 minutes into the film and the second was 10 minutes. This happened with 2 different drives 1 SATA and 1 PATA. 

Any suggestions?

Thank you 
    Monday, June 1, 2009 1:50 AM

All replies

• Hi Charles,

Please note Michael's announcement:
    Please keep your posts specific to performance analysis. All unrelated posts will be moved to http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/Offtopic/threads , without warning. Repeated off-topic posts will be reported as abuse of this forum. Please use your favorite search engine to find the right forum for your question. If your question isn't about Windows performance, then you shouldn't post here.

Let's build a performance analysis community here :)

Cheers, Michael
    Monday, June 1, 2009 12:27 PM
  • This actually looks like a performance issue. It'd be interesting to capture a trace of this happening. Please download WPT 4.5 from the Windows 7 RC SDK and then capture a trace using:

xperf -start perf!GeneralProfiles.InBuffer

// repro scenario

xperf -stop perf!GeneralProfiles.InBuffer trace.etl

You'll need to snap the trace as soon as you repro the problem, since capture is going into a memory buffer which only holds a few dozen seconds to a minute worth of trace data.

Hope this helps,
    Michael
    Monday, June 15, 2009 5:17 PM
  • I have the same issue.

When playing a DVD with Windows 7 in Media Center, the playback stops at random times.

I notice that playing the same DVD in Windows Media Player, the DVD plays correctly, with NO issues.

I have this with all my DVDs. I have Windows 7100 RC.

Sven
    Sunday, June 28, 2009 5:50 AM
  • I get this on MP4 video playback in Media Center - stare at blue screen for ages (the MC background) and eventually it plays. Using RTM x86

Never happened on previous versions.

Freezes up whole computer (Dual Core E6700 2GB RAM, SATA II)
    Monday, August 17, 2009 9:36 PM
  • Hi Charles,

It could be one of the following:
    • Computer overheating problem - Check if your computer fan works properly, and consider adding another one.
    • Low memory system - You need to add RAM to your computer.
    • Hard disk problem - Run check disk.

Here is a nice article on Why Does My Computer Freeze.
    Saturday, August 29, 2009 10:31 AM
  • I have this issues also and it do'nt think it is not one of the points mentioned from JohnNorris. I have a well cooled quad core 9550, 4 gb of ddr2 ram and a GTX260 videocard. I have 3 different harddisk i used, a 1tb seagate, a 500g WD and a 500g hitachi. And all disk same problem. When i play with different players such powerdvd or vlc the problem does not show up. I have it with different dvds on my harddisk. Times when it happens is random. Also downloaded the latest nvidia drivers.

I think this is clearly a bug that has to be fixed.

The Affe | Pentium Quad Core 9550 / 4 G / GTX 260 Core / 2 TB hd space / Windows 7 ultimate build 7600 Dutch
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 7:45 PM
  • I had this problem also (Abit motherboard, AMD processor). Media center worked OK with XP, but locked up using the Windows 7 RC, with the disk drive light being lit constantly during lockup. Sometimes it would self-correct after 5 or 10 minutes. Even trying to copy a DVD to the hard drive and run it from the hard drive didn't work - the lockup occurred during the copy. We finally tracked it down to the SATA disk controller, which was set to IDE emulation in the BIOS RAID configuration. Apparently, Windows 7 doesn't handle this configuration properly. We changed the configuration from IDE to AHCI. Unfortunately, this required reinstalling Windows 7 since this change prevents the system from booting. I suspect that this change also improved the disk transfer speed since the disc light is much dimmer during the periodic disc access that occurs when the system is idle, indicating that the transfer is happening faster.

If this is the wrong forum, hopefully someone at Microsoft can get this info to the right place.

• Proposed as answer by Kenton Falana Wednesday, October 7, 2009 12:38 AM
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 5:59 AM
  • I had this problem also (Abit motherboard, AMD processor). Media center worked OK with XP, but locked up using the Windows 7 RC, with the disk drive light being lit constantly during lockup. Sometimes it would self-correct after 5 or 10 minutes. Even trying to copy a DVD to the hard drive and run it from the hard drive didn't work - the lockup occurred during the copy. We finally tracked it down to the SATA disk controller, which was set to IDE emulation in the BIOS RAID configuration. Apparently, Windows 7 doesn't handle this configuration properly. We changed the configuration from IDE to AHCI. Unfortunately, this required reinstalling Windows 7 since this change prevents the system from booting. I suspect that this change also improved the disk transfer speed since the disc light is much dimmer during the periodic disc access that occurs when the system is idle, indicating that the transfer is happening faster.

If this is the wrong forum, hopefully someone at Microsoft can get this info to the right place.

I had the same problem after I installed a SATA DVD drive. Like you I changed the config from IDE to AHCI and the problem was solved. I didn't reinstall but it seems like I will have to. It reboots, the DVD's play some what better but they eventually stop. Might be a drivers issue.
    I have a Gigabyte GX 790 motherboard.
    Wednesday, October 7, 2009 12:38 AM
  • Hi, I have the same issue. Playback stops at ramdom times. All DVDs work perfectly in Vista.
    The solution : I'm not using Windows7 no more to play my DVDs.

Miguel
    • Edited by StoneBlueSunset Saturday, October 24, 2009 1:36 AM update config
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 1:32 AM
  • I reinstalled the OS adding the proper drivers at the begining of the install process. Works fine now.

Saturday, October 24, 2009 6:43 PM
  • After installing Windows 7 RC, Media player seems to operate as designed but has some video delay when playing movies. Most likely a hardware concern with the video card (not enough memory on the video card). However, Media center in Windows 7 stops responding entirely and needs to be shut down and re started.  All drivers seem to be operating normally for the supported hardware. The operatin freezes on a frame in the movie and just sits there. All other applications operate normally and Media Center will respond after a re launch. But it will freeze again. The first occurance was 28 minutes into the film and the second was 10 minutes. This happened with 2 different drives 1 SATA and 1 PATA. 

Any suggestions?

Thank you 

I have tried to disable the Windows 7 desktop theme (you now, the bitmaps that change on your desktop.).
    It seems to help when I enable the default windows 7 theme (with one bitmap).

So I have a question, if others could test this as well, by enabling the default windows 7 bitmap, and checking if dvd playback stops after a while in windows media center?

Sven
    Monday, November 2, 2009 6:41 AM

Any suggestions?

Thank you 

I have tried to disable the Windows 7 desktop theme (you now, the bitmaps that change on your desktop.).
    It seems to help when I enable the default windows 7 theme (with one bitmap).

So I have a question, if others could test this as well, by enabling the default windows 7 bitmap, and checking if dvd playback stops after a while in windows media center?

Sven

Look in your bios settings to see if you have AHCI  enabled.
    Monday, November 2, 2009 4:02 PM
  • Look in your bios settings to see if you have AHCI  enabled.

Hi,

Yes kenton AHCI is activated.

Sven, I found a solution and the problem is solved for me:
    After several months of trying everything, I realised that the source of the problem was the PhysX motor of my graphic card. I tried to deactivate PhyX in the nVidia control panel (or go to the START menu > All Programs > nVidia Corporation > nVidia PhysX Properties), and my Media Center works fine now with no playback issues.

I wonder why when we install the nVidia GPU driver, the PhysX motor is activated by default ! even if you only have one GPU like me !
    And also I don't understand why my Windows Vista Media Center worked fine, with no playback issues, even with PhysX activated ?

This solution worked for me. Hope this helps.

Miguel
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 2:12 PM
  • I have to dissapoint you , I have disabled the PhysX on the NVIDIA screen, without the expected results!!!
    Something else must have solved your problem!!!

Sven
    Sunday, January 3, 2010 11:33 AM
  • I am having the same problem using Windows 7 Professional x64.

AHCI is activated.

Can't locate PhysX setting in Nvidia settings, so I guess it is not enabled for my GPU.

Does anyone have a solution for this?

some technical info about my computer:
    Intel Atom 330Processor
    Intel ION
    4GB SDRAM
    320GB System Harddrive
    1TB eSata Data Drive (DVD's are locatad here)
    nVidia Geforce 9400
    Monday, January 25, 2010 5:17 PM