what should be Azure Drive cache size? RRS feed

• Question

• I am mounting a .vhd file as azure drive, size of my .vhd file is 600 MB. What should be the Ideal size for AzureCache while mounting the drive? Is it possible to mount a drive without Cache? What if I mount with cache size < 600MB (Size of my .vhd)?

mitesh
    Friday, March 4, 2011 11:56 AM

Answers

• Your expected drive size is well below the limits of Extra-small(20 GB) or Small (200 GB) VM instances. You would get optimal performance and reduce the transaction cost of accessing the blob service, if you define local resource with size greater than 600MB and specify 600MB or more while invoking Drive's mount operation.

I dont think, it is possible to mount a drive without Local Resource/Cache.

If you mount with <600MB, then transaciton to blob will occur each time requested content is not on the mounted drive.

HTH.

Please mark it as answer by clicking on "Propose As Answer", if it helps. My Blog : http://dotnetizen.blogspot.com
    Friday, March 4, 2011 1:28 PM

All replies

• Your expected drive size is well below the limits of Extra-small(20 GB) or Small (200 GB) VM instances. You would get optimal performance and reduce the transaction cost of accessing the blob service, if you define local resource with size greater than 600MB and specify 600MB or more while invoking Drive's mount operation.

I dont think, it is possible to mount a drive without Local Resource/Cache.

If you mount with <600MB, then transaciton to blob will occur each time requested content is not on the mounted drive.

HTH.

Please mark it as answer by clicking on "Propose As Answer", if it helps. My Blog : http://dotnetizen.blogspot.com
    Friday, March 4, 2011 1:28 PM
  • The story is as Rajesh Kolla writes. One point to remember is that you should create a local resource that is 20 MB larger than the cache you allocate.
    Monday, March 7, 2011 5:23 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi Mitesh,

To clarify one point, you can mount a windows azure drive without a local cache.  Just pass in zero as the cache size to the mount API.

Thanks
    Andrew Edwards
    Windows Azure Storage

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 3:57 AM