none
16-bit Application Icons Missing RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I'm currently testing some of our 16-bit applications on the 32-bit Windows VISTA Business edition.

One thing I've noticed is that the icons for the main executables do not display under VISTA.  Instead, they display a default icon.

Anyone know why this is?

Thanks in advance for any help.

JK
    Tuesday, December 19, 2006 12:39 PM

Answers

• We no longer load icons from 16 bit applications (although the icons are obviously still in the binary). Sysedit.exe shows the same behavior. ALT-TAB with Aero on shows the correct icon for sysedit.exe.

Maarten

Tuesday, January 23, 2007 8:37 PM

All replies

• Hi JK69,

My appologies for the long reply, I have forwarded your question to our engineers. I will get back with you as soon as I have more information.

Thanks!

Matthew Braun

Wednesday, December 27, 2006 6:37 PM
  • Got any more information about this issue yet? I am making a 16-bit application compatible with Windows Vista and the icons issue is the last one we have. We have found three places where the icon isn't correctly displayed: the desktop shortcut, taskbar and application switch (alt+tab) display. The first two can be solved by assigning an icon to the desktop shortcut but the alt+tab menu appears to use the application exe's embedded icon which in this case is the generic windows application one.

What a triumph of backward compatibility that this VB3 app still runs in Vista with very few changes!
    Friday, January 12, 2007 1:53 AM
  • We no longer load icons from 16 bit applications (although the icons are obviously still in the binary). Sysedit.exe shows the same behavior. ALT-TAB with Aero on shows the correct icon for sysedit.exe.

Maarten

Tuesday, January 23, 2007 8:37 PM