What is the best practice to persist data across controllers actions ??? RRS feed

• Question

• User-973886032 posted

hi guys

in my previous projects, I had used inherited controllers to persist data across my last project e.g. 

public class UsersController : ProjectAController
        {

Although I added custom data to the base controller, e.g. shopping cart, alerts, statistics  etc

These values are values that are loaded in the _Layout page (and are loaded once from the database, instead of repetitive round trip coding

What is best practices ?

thanks

Ehi

Saturday, July 20, 2019 11:15 PM

All replies

• User711641945 posted

Hi afrika,

I suggest that you could share the same database with the two projects.

Take a shopping cart as an example, in ProjectA  controller,each time you add/delete a product, you could store/delete a record into your database.Then you could  get the product list  from the same database in the ProjectB.CartController.

Best Regards,

Rena

Monday, July 22, 2019 7:43 AM
  • User753101303 posted

Hi,

The best practice is to use what best fit your need rather than to apply blindly some kind of general recipe. See https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/aspnet/core/fundamentals/app-state?view=aspnetcore-2.2 and then  it depends on which freshness/location/lifetime you need.

For example first do you want the user to see the same information on its next sesssion  ? Then you should anwyay store this in a db (which doesn't prevent to use caching or whatever).

Monday, July 22, 2019 8:26 AM