none
virtual PC for certification RRS feed

• Question

• hello

I would like to know if it's possible to use virtualbox PC to to test , controle, etc...

All for Discuss Windows hardware testing, certification, and the Windows Hardware Certification Kit (WHCK).

I would like a prompt answer, please

Thanks

Thursday, October 4, 2018 8:31 AM

All replies

• Hello,

A little late, but this can help others.

The HCK/HLK controller and studio works on virtual machines, I have done this myself.

However, you may need a physical PC after for EV signing if you use a hardware token. In this case, this hardware PC just need the HLK Studio part, it can load your unsigned package and sign it.

Regards,

Monday, April 1, 2019 9:48 AM
  • We use VMware VMs for both HLK Studio/Controller as well as for the HLK test systems, they work just fine.

Regarding the comment about EV signing above, it is actually not necessary to sign with an EV certificate.  You can sign your drivers and your submission file with a non-EV SHA-256 certificate as long as that certificate is registered on the Hardware Dev Center Dashboard.  You do also need an EV certificate but the only requirement is that the EV certificate also be registered in the Hardware Dev Center Dashboard.

At least that's our experience

Monday, April 1, 2019 3:16 PM