none
laptop Integrated camera WIA (windows image acquisition) capture image RRS feed

Answers

• Andrew,

Thanks for reply. I just wanted to make sure there isn't a bug from myside for WIA not working.

I tested on 3 devices laptop, surface pro 3, dell tablet windows 10. 

WIA could not detect integrated camera on all 3 devices.

TWAIN worked on laptop integrated camera, but failed on tablet device, did not get a chance to test on surface pro or to look further.

Direct Show worked on all 3 devices. 

Thanks

Yep.  Camera hardware vendors were starting to ignore the Microsoft-only WIA by 2015.  It's kind of funny:  I bought a Kodak camera in 2008, and had to use TWAIN because WIA was new enough that the camera didn't support it yet.  Then I bought a cheap webcam in 2015 and MS had alienated their own commercial-developer community so badly that it didn't support WIA either.  I think I ever stumbled over one device that supported WIA, in 2010 or so, and that device belonged to somebody else entirely.

I'm glad my TWAIN recommendation worked in at least one spot :-P  But yeah, it doesn't surprise me that access to camera devices is pretty well limited to DirectShow by 2020.  You'll probably find WIA still supported by a few scanners or MFP devices.

• Marked as answer by sbprasadrao Wednesday, February 19, 2020 5:21 PM
    Wednesday, February 19, 2020 4:26 PM

All replies

• Hi sbprasadrao,
    Based on your description,I can't reproduce the situation. Could you please provide some related code?
    And I suggest you can try to follow the steps:
    1.Right click Start
    2.Click Run
    3.Type "services.msc"
    4.Select the service named "Windows Image Acquisition (WIA)". 
    5.Right click -> Properties
    6.Set startup type to "Automatic".
    7.Click OK to close the window
    9.Select the service again, right click -> Start.
    The Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) service is now running and will start automatically after a reboot from now on.
    And error code 0x80210015 indicates no scanner device was found. Make sure the device is online, connected to the PC, and has the correct driver installed on the PC. Or update your drivers and check if they are WIA compliant.
    Hope there are helpful for you.
    Best Regards,
    Daniel Zhang

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 18, 2020 4:06 AM
  • Hi Daniel,

Here are 2 code samples using WIA and DirectShow.

DirectShow sample works on both Laptop integrated camera and surface tablet rear camera.

WIA sample gives throws error on both Laptop integrated camera and surface tablet rear camera.

Please advise how to make WIA work with surface tablet rear camera like directshow or atleast past that undetect com exception. 

WIA sample code thows COMException from HRESULT: 0x80210015

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Am9Bs9Anc6lZwUS2yeHs0Dmk_pM9?e=I1gtSk

DirectShow Lib DxSnap sample - works.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Am9Bs9Anc6lZwUUl8VvaaJatyDfk?e=xzFhNX

Tuesday, February 18, 2020 6:51 PM
  • I want to access laptop integrated camera or surface pro rear camera from winforms application.

I receive the error on from line new CommonDialog().ShowSelectDevice(). Also new DeviceManager().DeviceInfos return empty.

I observed WIA service is running; and device manager does show Integrated camera exists. 

COMException from HRESULT: 0x80210015

How to use capture image using WIA api.

Thank you

Ref link: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/desktop/wiaaut/-wiaaut-shared-samples

HRESULT 0x80210015 means "No Device Available."  Around 2015 I had the same problem with a cheap-o USB camera. 

The bottom line is that WIA was the norm from around 2005 to 2012 and TWAIN was the norm before that. Ever since Ballmer put this hapless new CEO in charge of Microsoft, everything MS has been going sharply downhill starting with throwing out any semblance of "workflow" or "UI efficiency" which turned into the quality of every software package they put out and eventually the declining value of Windows for 3rd Party development... which means less and less GAF from hardware vendors as to whether their product supports Microsoft's interface du jour is for good reason.

Because it's a laptop-embedded hardware device, your camera probably does support TWAIN which is likely used in Linux systems.  It obviously doesn't support WIA.  If you can't get it working with a TWAIN interface, then you're going to be stuck learning C/++ and DirectShow which it definitely will support if it works at all with Discord or Skype or any other major application in Windows.

Tuesday, February 18, 2020 11:23 PM
  • Andrew,

Thanks for reply. I just wanted to make sure there isn't a bug from myside for WIA not working.

TWAIN worked on laptop integrated camera, but failed on tablet device, did not get a chance to test on surface pro or to look further.

Thanks

Wednesday, February 19, 2020 1:07 PM
  • Andrew,

Thanks

Yep.  Camera hardware vendors were starting to ignore the Microsoft-only WIA by 2015.  It's kind of funny:  I bought a Kodak camera in 2008, and had to use TWAIN because WIA was new enough that the camera didn't support it yet.  Then I bought a cheap webcam in 2015 and MS had alienated their own commercial-developer community so badly that it didn't support WIA either.  I think I ever stumbled over one device that supported WIA, in 2010 or so, and that device belonged to somebody else entirely.

I'm glad my TWAIN recommendation worked in at least one spot :-P  But yeah, it doesn't surprise me that access to camera devices is pretty well limited to DirectShow by 2020.  You'll probably find WIA still supported by a few scanners or MFP devices.

• Marked as answer by sbprasadrao Wednesday, February 19, 2020 5:21 PM
    Wednesday, February 19, 2020 4:26 PM