none
Pasting same text in multiple locations of a Word Document RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way to only insert/paste text one time in a Word doc and it will automatically insert/paste it in multiple locations throughout the document?  For instance, if I have an 8 page document in which I need to insert my name several times, can I set up a control that will allow Word to paste it in specified locations?

Thanks!

Patrick
    Thursday, December 2, 2010 7:34 AM

Answers

• See http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Repeating_Data.htm

<Patrick1977> wrote in message news:f93a2338-2e1e-4382-afc3-28a0bf52080d@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

I am so sorry Cindy!  I am using Word 2010.  It would need to include formatting because I would be copying the information from a non-Office interface.  I am attempting to create something at work that will allow me to speed my production by pasting the account number one time which will place it in all the necessary fields at one time.

Thanks!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Patrick

Graham Mayor - Word MVP
    www.gmayor.com
    Posted via the Communities Bridge
    http://communitybridge.codeplex.com/
    Thursday, December 2, 2010 8:31 AM
  • I am so sorry Cindy!  I am using Word 2010.  It would need to include formatting because I would be copying the information from a non-Office interface.  I am attempting to create something at work that will allow me to speed my production by pasting the account number one time which will place it in all the necessary fields at one time.

Hi Patrick

We may mean different things when we refer to "formatting". I'm thinking of bold, italics, etc. You're thinking about the way the number looks?

Graham's link covers pretty much all the bases, as far as I can tell. I'd say the Document Property approach with DocProperty fields might be a good one if you're doing this as an end-user. As long as the fields aren't deleted, any "accidents" where the user may edit the number can quickly be corrected by updating the fields - the actual information remains intact in the document property.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP
    • Marked as answer by Bessie Zhao Monday, December 13, 2010 11:12 AM
    Thursday, December 2, 2010 8:42 AM

All replies

• Hi Patrick

What's available depends very much on the version of Word involved, which you unfortunately do not mention...

There's also the question of whether the copy/paste should include formatting, or only the text?

Thursday, December 2, 2010 7:40 AM
  • I am so sorry Cindy!  I am using Word 2010.  It would need to include formatting because I would be copying the information from a non-Office interface.  I am attempting to create something at work that will allow me to speed my production by pasting the account number one time which will place it in all the necessary fields at one time.

Thanks!

Patrick
    Thursday, December 2, 2010 7:50 AM
  • See http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Repeating_Data.htm

<Patrick1977> wrote in message news:f93a2338-2e1e-4382-afc3-28a0bf52080d@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

I am so sorry Cindy!  I am using Word 2010.  It would need to include formatting because I would be copying the information from a non-Office interface.  I am attempting to create something at work that will allow me to speed my production by pasting the account number one time which will place it in all the necessary fields at one time.

Thanks!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Patrick

Graham Mayor - Word MVP
    www.gmayor.com
    Posted via the Communities Bridge
    http://communitybridge.codeplex.com/
    Thursday, December 2, 2010 8:31 AM

Hi Patrick

We may mean different things when we refer to "formatting". I'm thinking of bold, italics, etc. You're thinking about the way the number looks?

Graham's link covers pretty much all the bases, as far as I can tell. I'd say the Document Property approach with DocProperty fields might be a good one if you're doing this as an end-user. As long as the fields aren't deleted, any "accidents" where the user may edit the number can quickly be corrected by updating the fields - the actual information remains intact in the document property.

• Marked as answer by Bessie Zhao Monday, December 13, 2010 11:12 AM
    Thursday, December 2, 2010 8:42 AM
  • Thank you, Cindy!  I was able to get this to work according to Graham's response.  Sorry about the confusion regarding "formatting".  Thank you for replying!

Patrick

Patrick
    Tuesday, December 14, 2010 4:56 AM