none
WCF-Custom Retry mechanism - What are all scenario's in which WCF-Custom send port will retry calling Web Service. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

Environment Details: BizTalk Server 2016 CU 6 Updated.

I posted a question here but I didn't get any help so far. So, I am changing my question altogether. 

Does anyone know, where can I find all use cases where BizTalk WCF-Custom Send port will retry?

As I said in previous question, I had WCF-Custom port, which is getting HTTP 500, Internal Server error on prod env.

I created dummy app and wrote .net wcf service which, on purpose sends 500... please see following.
    throw new WebFaultException<string>("ErrorMessage!", HttpStatusCode.InternalServerError);

That web service was consumed from BizTalk orchestration, whereas... i had retry setup on send ports with no exception handling done inside orchestration on purpose.
    It did not retry but sent exception and ended up suspending the orchestration.

So, my question is what are use cases, in which Send port will retry? I am aware of timeouts in which it would.

Also, there is fix about HTTP 500 error but looks it was applicable to WCF-HTTP Send. They claim to be working for WCF-Custom, which i doubt now.

Any help?

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
    Neil

Regards, Nilesh Sarkate [Please remember to click &quot;mark as answered&quot; when you get a correct reply to your question]

Monday, July 20, 2020 9:58 PM

All replies

• What binding are you using with the WCF-Custom?  basicHttpBinding as per your original question?
    Monday, July 20, 2020 10:46 PM
  • Thanks for reply and yes it is basichttpbinding!

Regards, Nilesh Sarkate [Please remember to click &quot;mark as answered&quot; when you get a correct reply to your question]

• Edited by Neil Sarkate Monday, July 20, 2020 11:54 PM edited removed signature
    Monday, July 20, 2020 11:54 PM
  • So can't you get your mock service to return other error codes, and see which cause a retry and which don't?

Unfortunately the documentation is rather vague on this point.

"The adapter should tell BizTalk Server that it wants a message retried. BizTalk Server does not automatically retry a message. BizTalk Server keeps a count of the retries, and this count can be seen in the message context."

Tuesday, July 21, 2020 4:04 AM
  • Well, We have raised ticket with MS and got answer that since IBM sits in-between of our web service calls, they were indeed sending 500 but with soap envelope.

So we then configured propagate fault and now we are trying few other things. 

Thanks for your reply!

Thursday, August 6, 2020 6:02 PM