Why am I not getting a graphical Windows 8 bootloader (with Win 7 on another partition)?

Question

• I installed Windows 8 on a secondary drive and now have no graphical bootloader (or any, for that matter). It simply boots straight into Windows 8. Hitting F8 brings up additional W8 options, but no boot options. The only way I can boot into Windows 7 is by going into BIOS and doing an override into my Disk 1. If I change the boot settings to boot to that first, it just reverts and goes back to Disk 0 as the default.

My Disk 0 has three partitions (Windows 8 being one of them, plus others with just files).

My Disk 1 has the ASUS recovery partition, my Windows 7 OS partition, and another data partition.

Running ASUS with i7 with 8GB RAM if that matters; Windows 7 Home Premium.

Friday, September 16, 2011 3:27 AM

Answers

• The new boot manager in Windows 8 is there to support system management scenarios for all types of machines, including machines that are touch only.  If you want to configure multiple boot partitions (one scenario) or need to do system refresh, system reset, or use the system repair tools, a certain amount of touch responsiveness is required before Windows is fully loaded.  I wouldn't go so far as to call it "graphical" but it does look more graphical I guess.
    Monday, September 19, 2011 1:45 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Tell us, how did you create the new partition? Did you start the Windows 8 installation from Windows 7?

Friday, September 16, 2011 3:30 AM
  • Hello,

Tell us, how did you create the new partition? Did you start the Windows 8 installation from Windows 7?

I created an extra partition using Windows 7 disk management utility. Then, I put in my DVD, restarted, and did an install to that partition. Both Win 7 and Win 8 work fine, I just don't have the option at startup (no bootloader).
    Friday, September 16, 2011 3:33 AM
  • Hello,

I created an extra partition using Windows 7 disk management utility. Then, I put in my DVD, restarted, and did an install to that partition. Both Win 7 and Win 8 work fine, I just don't have the option at startup (no bootloader).

Did you delete the Reserved partition? Can you see on MSCONFIG startup tab Windows Developer Preview and Windows 7? It should worked
    Friday, September 16, 2011 3:38 AM
  • No I did not delete the Reserved partition. While running Win 7, I only see "Windows 7 (C:\Windows) : Current OS; Default OS" under the Boot tab. I do not see anything about Windows Developer Preview or Windows 8 under the Startup tab.

When running Win 8, Windows 8 is the only entry under the Boot tab.

Friday, September 16, 2011 3:41 AM
  • Also, I tried going into the Recovery mode (with the partition -- I don't have a Windows 7 disc) and went into command prompt. It starts off at x:\windows\system32 (which I believe is the active partition).

I did a bootrec \fixmbr there and it said it completed but changed nothing. I also navigated to c:\ and did a bootrec \fixmbr there as well. Again, said it was completed but changed nothing. I also tried bootrec \fixboot and same thing.

Friday, September 16, 2011 4:05 AM
  • No I did not delete the Reserved partition. While running Win 7, I only see "Windows 7 (C:\Windows) : Current OS; Default OS" under the Boot tab. I do not see anything about Windows Developer Preview or Windows 8 under the Startup tab.

Let's try something:
    Boot into Windows 7, open an elevated command prompt and type: bcdedit

You will see the Boot Manager, copy the identifier for Windows 7, so log in into Windows 8, open the command prompt and run:

bcdedit /bootsequence /addlast <Identifier>

When <Identifier> is what you got from Windows 7.

After that, type bcdedit and see what happened.

Friday, September 16, 2011 4:08 AM

Let's try something:
    Boot into Windows 7, open an elevated command prompt and type: bcdedit

You will see the Boot Manager, copy the identifier for Windows 7, so log in into Windows 8, open the command prompt and run:

bcdedit /bootsequence /addlast <Identifier>

When <Identifier> is what you got from Windows 7.

After that, type bcdedit and see what happened.

Are you referring to resumeobject? The actually identifiers are just {bootmgr} for Windows Boot Manager and {current} for Windows Boot Loader. The resumeobject value is lots of random numbers and letters with dashes. Use that in bcdedit /bootsequence /addlast <Identifier>?

Under Windows Boot Manager, device is "partition=C:" and displayorder is {current}. Under Windows Boot Loader, device is the same, path is "\Windows\system32\winload.exe", inherit is {bootloadersettings} and osdevice is "partition=C:". (Not sure if you needed any of these values, but I thought I would post them just in case.)

Friday, September 16, 2011 12:31 PM
  • Not sure if this matters, but I created the partition in Win 7 disk management utility, not from the Windows 8 install disc.
    Friday, September 16, 2011 3:59 PM
  • editbdc doesn't work while running Windows 8.

"The boot configuration data store could not be opened. Access is denied."

Saturday, September 17, 2011 4:47 PM
  • On Sat, 17 Sep 2011 16:47:23 +0000, inntheboat wrote:

editbdc doesn't work while running Windows 8.

"The boot configuration data store could not be opened. Access is denied."

I assume that you mean bcdedit. You need to run it from an elevated command
    prompt.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    f u cn rd ths, u cn gt a gd jb n cmptr prgrmmng.

Saturday, September 17, 2011 4:58 PM
  • Yes, I meant bcdedit.

However, I kind of fixed the problem. I switched my hard drives. Windows 7 is now Disk 0 and Windows 8 is now Disk 1. I boot into Windows 7 unless I do a BIOS override.

Saturday, September 17, 2011 6:02 PM
  • I am also not getting a graphical boot loader.

I installed Windows 8 onto a .vhd on my "D:" secondary drive.

I did not delete any existing partitions, not C: and not the reserved partition.

I will try to force it to boot like the original poster did..

But would like to figure out this dual boot thing...

I appreciate any further suggestions.

- Daniel

Sunday, September 18, 2011 5:17 AM
  • When I change my boot sequence to boot from my original SSD hard drive, in the BIOS, I get a message that it can't find the boot manager, and asks me to hit control-alt-delete.

So I have no idea how to reboot into Windows 7...

Sunday, September 18, 2011 5:32 AM
  • I can run bcdedit in administrator mode.. but I really don't know what settings to use.  How can I get back to Windows 7?
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 5:47 AM
  • The new boot manager in Windows 8 is there to support system management scenarios for all types of machines, including machines that are touch only.  If you want to configure multiple boot partitions (one scenario) or need to do system refresh, system reset, or use the system repair tools, a certain amount of touch responsiveness is required before Windows is fully loaded.  I wouldn't go so far as to call it "graphical" but it does look more graphical I guess.
    Monday, September 19, 2011 1:45 AM
  • I had the same problem, but what I did was erase my linux partition and put Windows 8 on the newly freed space. As a result, Windows 8 was not able to detect the previous Windows 7 bootloader (Since i was using grub).

So I searched around and I found this site, and also a tool called "Visual BCD Editor"  (boyans.my3gb.com)

I downloaded the latest version, (Labeled Win 8 Dev Preview), Installed it (and while trying to run it downloaded .NET 3.5)

Once the program was up, I right-clicked on Loaders and used the option "Create missing Windows loaders" and it automatically added an entry for my Windows 7. 

I restarted and it dual-booted fine.

I hope this can help someone out there.

Cheers,

Andre

-Andre
    • Proposed as answer by anebg Thursday, September 22, 2011 5:48 PM
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 5:48 PM
  • Beautiful. This also did the trick for me as well. I'm not sure why the "Green" solution has been selected as it has nothing, at all, to do with the original problem.
    Friday, February 17, 2012 4:05 AM