How to create shortcuts on Start Screen Page and other questions

Question

• Ok the boss bought me a new touch monitor for the test of Windows 8.   I have a few thoughts.

I installed Win8 and had a little trouble trying to join it to the corporate domain.  Bringing up a Command prompt and doing an IPCONFIG would have quickly have told me what the problem was but bringing up the command prompt in Win8 is not simple.  I eventually figured out that I was not plugged into a corporate network and was able to easily join it to the domain after switching to the corporate network.  Eventually I created a shortcut on the desktop to give me a command prompt.

How do we create short cuts on the start page?

When I boot the computer I'm presented with a login page, there is no way of hitting Ctrl, Alt, Del except by using the keyboard.  There should be a way of doing this from the monitor itself.

Within apps there is no way to minimize them and get to the desktop or start page without using a keyboard.   I understand that Microsoft wants to have apps minimized and the system will kill them if necessary but in that case then apps should be completely paused when we move to something else.  The game Zero Gravity continues to play it's annoying music even after you switch to something else, meaning you have to bring up Task Manager and kill the app.

Shutting down the computer is a pain in the butt.  You first have to log off the user then you are presented with a button that allows you to shutdown the machine.

WD

Original Title: A few thoughts
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 5:18 PM

All replies

• To create shortcut in start page you could just pin it, you should search for name of application just by type it and then select that and move it a bit to show advance menu in button and then chose pin and it will pin in start menu.

In preview version of Windows , if you had touch screen it would present your the keyboard to do that, you might suggest some idea for future release to improve it.

You actually could put your finger in left side of screen and swap to to swich between screens and you could use this way to change application.

You don't need to log off in order to shutdown, all you need to do is swap right hand side for touch screen to bring menu and then press setting and in setting you have shutdown (for non-tocuh screen it is down left corner).

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 5:36 AM
  • Hi,

Could you please specify what problems did you have joining Active Directory? I am currently working in a pretty large forest and have had no problems joining domain using the standard technique.

As for the command prompt, you could just WindowsKey+R and type cmd as you could do for years.

If you happen to need the command prompt softlink, you could create a shortcut by dragging the cmd.exe with right mouse button hold and copying the created shortcut to this location

%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\

(same gud ole path)

Ctrl+Alt+Del, as you know it, is a special sequence, the Secure Attention Sequence. This could be why you can call it with keyboard only. However, I may be totally wrong here.

That's pretty strange thing with Zero Gravity... Possibly, a defect? Does it have suspended state when you leave the focus from it?

Well this is the world we live in And these are the hands we're given...
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 6:29 AM