Application Unresponsive in Assigned Access Mode

Question

• I have a Windows 8.1 application that is being used in Assigned Access mode. If the computer is not used for a little while, the application will sometimes hang. I get the following message in my Event Viewer:

The program {App}.exe version 1.1.0.0 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Action Center control panel.

Process ID: 924

Start Time: 01cf32d58266155c

Termination Time: 0

Application Path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\{AppId}\{App}.exe

Report Id: c0ab0e06-9f91-11e3-bea9-b8ca3a92fc8a

Faulting package full name: {AppId}

Faulting package-relative application ID: App

The application is not restarted and since it is in Assigned Access mode, the computer just sits on a blue screen until someone comes around and gets the keyboard out and logs in and restarts the computer.

I've had to resort to having the computer automatically reboot overnight to prevent this from happening. This works, but its not ideal.

The application isn't getting any errors that I can trap. It's just disappearing from the screen.

How can I get more information about this problem?

Friday, February 28, 2014 5:29 PM

All replies

• Is this your app or are you trying to diagnose somebody else's app?

Can you repro the problem outside of Assigned Access?

Can you remote debug the app to see where it's crashing? If not try adding some logging to help diagnose after the fact.

--Rob

Friday, February 28, 2014 7:27 PM
  • I have this issue also windows 8.1
    Friday, February 28, 2014 9:59 PM
  • Which issue, edognzki? Please answer the same questions I posed to Tim.

Also note that for general Assigned Access problems (rather than app development issues) you should ask in the Windows 8.1 IT Pro forums on TechNet.

--Rob

Saturday, March 01, 2014 1:58 AM
  • Hi Rob,

Sorry for the delayed response. Got pulled off on another assignment.

This is my application that I developed. I have not seen the problem outside of Assigned Access yet.

I'm not really sure how to remote debug this. The problem occurs (seemingly) randomly after the computer hasn't been interacted with for a while. I haven't found a way to force it to occur. And it doesn't really crash. There is no exception thrown that I can find a way to catch. The app just goes away.

The only information I could find was that entry I posted from the Event Viewer, which seems to indicate it became unresponsive. But it's not doing anything in the background and it doesn't have any long-running tasks or anything. It is literally just sitting there waiting for the user to enter their credentials.

Tuesday, March 11, 2014 12:59 PM
  • Hi Tim,

Have you found a solution to your issue? I am experimenting the same problem.

Thursday, January 29, 2015 5:44 PM