none
Is it possible to create a single programming language for all domains? RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hello every one,

I would like to know whether it is possible to create a single programming language that combines all features of all other computer languages into one single programming language.

A simple thought indeed, I am mentally very exhausted. I am literally tried to learn a new computer language to meet certain new specific business needs.

Creation of one main stream programming language which can be used  from PLC to embedded system.

So that every one life in especially becomes easier one.

You’re thought and views are highly appreciated.

Chow

Phijo Mathew Philip.

Tuesday, November 9, 2010 1:38 PM

All replies

• Here is something to think about:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain-specific_language

Hope this helps.

www.insteptech.com ; msmvps.com/blogs/deborahk
    We are volunteers and ask only that if we are able to help you, that you mark our reply as your answer. THANKS!
    Wednesday, November 10, 2010 6:52 AM
  • Isn't that kind of the idea of c#.  MS took a look at a number of languages and tried to make one that incorporated what they saw as the best bits out of them all.

Then of course you have to learn javascript, jscript, MVC, XAML, MVVM, LINQ..... etc etc.

Wednesday, November 10, 2010 8:40 AM
  • Time is the factor of cost which is in turn related money. Creating one programming language for all software domain , can be cost effective solution. A complete change in the business model . Just think about it.

PHIJO MP
    Wednesday, November 10, 2010 2:31 PM
  • It's certainly a reason that I prefer working in Silverlight MVVM over asp.net MVC.

You need to learn XAML and c# for silverlight and WPF.  That's the best you're going to get really.

MVC lies at the other extreme with HTML CSS, Jscript, Javascript.

Not forgetting browsers.

Browser differences are a right pain.

Wednesday, November 10, 2010 3:47 PM
  • It is not about web, a single programming language which is compatible for all platforms for example desktops, web application, pda , robotics , chip programming and the list goes on. If the mankind is able to men to moon , with right kind of   attitude any thing is possible where the scope is well defined and internal driving force to go way beyond rational human thought process. A simple idea in deed, very thought requires the application correct business model and business principles where very effort costs money which is the rule of the day.

PHIJO MP
    Wednesday, November 10, 2010 5:56 PM
  • The problem is that the number of domains is so large as to be effectively infinite.  Now, I know that the number really isn't infinite: but if the number is so large that creating the programming language that you describe would take more money, time or effort than can reasonably be done in a finite period of time, well, then it might as well be.

Let's take your man on the moon comment.  This was a great accomplishment, but it kind of proves my point: the equipment that was built for that goal was built ONLY for that goal.  The experience that was gained led to other discoveries, and was useful in other projects, but you don't see a Saturn V rocket being used to transport people across the country; it doesn't directly apply.

I think the same thing can be said for technology.  Nothing's going to satisfy everyone or every situation, mainly because you could take an hour and come up with something NEW.  Or maybe a new device.  I'm pretty sure that not everything has been invented yet ;-)  The best that we can do is to be as flexible as we can. 

It seems to me that, the more general something is, the more complicated it is.  So a programming language that applies to everything would be too complex to use.  Instead, C# is like a bunch of building blocks.  We can build lots of cool stuff with it.  Sometimes, though, there's a building block that we need that we just don't have, and we have to work around it or go outside of our block collection :-)  Can you tell that I liked Legos when I was young?

I guess my point is, I don't think that it's possible - and if it were, I'm not sure it would be useful.

Thursday, November 11, 2010 9:13 PM
  • I don't think it is possible to have a single *anything*. :-)

Can you imagine a world with only one vehicle choice because someone designed a vehicle for all domains? (Reminds me of the Simpson's episode when Homer designs a car<G>)

Or one kind of pants because someone designed a pair of pants for all domains?

One house blueprint because someone designed a house for all domains?

As they say, "jack of all trades, master of none". So if you *were* able to define one programming language that *could* do everything would anyone want to use it if speciallized languages were better for a particular task?

www.insteptech.com ; msmvps.com/blogs/deborahk
    We are volunteers and ask only that if we are able to help you, that you mark our reply as your answer. THANKS!
    Thursday, November 11, 2010 9:39 PM
  • Hello there,

The design of any thing can be done in the form of any standard tools , where the top level  of architectural components can be designed . Here the  focus of the language of the software programming language is coming into the picture.  Any individual who can read and understand the software architecture irrespective of the software domains can under the top level of software entity should work keeping in focus that   he or she should needs to understand the domain knowledge where the software architecture is referring to. 

Then comes the software programming language, just thinks how many software programming languages are available now.  What does the all the software programming languages are going  to   do ?. My focus is here a common software programming language.

Some software programming languages can provide memory efficient program where the software programs are written by highly skilled programmers. 

Just of the think of scenario we are architecture and a single software programming language where the software programming can work in procedure or objected oriented fashion.  I am talking of only software programming languages where the combining of all the features of procedure and object oriented or functional software programming languages into one single software programming language.

Note :In the real time scenario we as human are building a house or apartment , 100 floors or 1000 floors skyscrapers. In this case where the design and blue print of each building will be different, then the material used for construction of building will more or less will be same.  In simple terms.  

Also the existing the Agile , scrum , xp software methodologies can be applied with no issues at all.

Regards,

Phijo Mathew Philip.

Friday, November 12, 2010 6:38 AM
  • Hello there,

Very thing start with a design on paper, any of software tool which can be used for designing the software. The concept of design remains the same , but the actual implementation differs were one question why we need so many programming languages in the first place.

If you think about this notion , it is very practical.  Why there cannot be a single programming language where the program can excuted as procedure oriented , object oriented , script oriented , functional oriented or concurrent programming oriented in one single programming language ?

I do not mean mix very thing up. Based on the technical requirement, the single programming can be executed procedure oriented , object oriented , script oriented , functional oriented manner or concurrent oriented fashion. It is depends on the how the design and the developer is going to code.

Is it possible to set the properties where the code that is to be written in object oriented or procedure oriented fashion. No mixing of both strictly basis. Then the whole concept of procedure or object oriented programming is lost. 

It is just very simple thought concept , where the always the sudden change  has its own negative side effects. 

Just think about it.  One simple question why we need so many programming languages in the first place.

Regards,

Phijo  Mathew Philip.

PHIJO MP
    Friday, November 12, 2010 11:08 AM
  • The problem simple concepts face is real world implementation.

The idea of silverlight was to offer one standard across all operating systems and browsers.  Problem is the number of new devices coming out.  So they're just getting HTML5 now.

Personally though, I agree.

Who needs all these fancy new machines an GUI.  Everyone should have stuck with HP3000 and Cobol.  What user really needs more than line printer based reporting anyhow?

Colours are over rated and you knew where you were with function keys.  No mess on the screen.

Friday, November 12, 2010 12:54 PM
  • You can not have one all encompassing programming language because all languages do something different, or even the same thing differently.

Functional programming appears to have taken off because it's better for multi-processing, now functional programming styles are appearing in .NET but no matter how they try C# and VB.NET are not functional languages; and so F# was created.

Pyton and Ruby are dynamic languages that are somewhat similar, why have them? Well these languages are interperated so they are great scripting languages or even for adding to applications the same way VBA has been done for Office. Ruby is excellent for writing custom DSL, because of it's amazing meta programming quirks.

Fortran is the fastest language out there so in terms of processor intensive weather predicition calculations nothing else comes close.

In Prolog you code rules and success criteria and the language itself trys to find a best fit solution.

Haskell and Ada are for real time systems... imagine developing software that monitors a patients heart beat and administers the right amount of medicine exactly when it needs it... in C#... no way. Telecomunications.... satelliete communication with the .NET overhead... not going to happen.

Different languages all do different things or even the same things differently... some are fast, some are easy, some are beautiful, and some are brilliant.

One language can not do everything in all circumstances.

Might have a lot of spelling mistakes in this post.

…we each have more potential than we might ever presume to guess. (Blog: http://dsmyth.blogspot.com/)
    Friday, November 12, 2010 1:49 PM
  • Thanks for every one response. Let me analyze the things in a wider perspective. I am looking for more comments for more brilliant people out there,Sole objective is to help every one. To tell every one very frankly I do have a great respect to all inventors of major software programming language that we use today. Just thought of a scenario. if we have a single programming language instead of using a multiple programming languages of various kinds of software programming activities.I do believe that it is possible.
    PHIJO MP
    Saturday, November 13, 2010 10:26 AM