How to change Calendar description field to rich text? RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way to change the Description field in the Calendar list to be rich content so that we and create URLs in it?  I do have Designer, if this is something that requires that.  I really don't want to have to make a custom event content type.
    There are no mistakes; every result tells you something of value about what you're are trying to accomplish.
    Monday, September 12, 2011 6:51 PM

Answers

• Well no, I've checked it out and through outlook it writes to the regular Description field.

If you enter in a link in the body through outlook it will be displayed as a link in sharepoint in the description field. Even though through the ui edit mode, you cannot add a link or html.

-tom daly
    • Marked as answer by run4it Wednesday, September 14, 2011 2:59 PM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 4:57 AM

All replies

• You can go to site actions->site settings->Site Columns and create a new site column, 'Event Description' which is a mulitiline, enhanced rich text field.

Then in your Calendar, go to the list settings.

In Advanced Settings, the enabled management of content types.

Then at the settings screen select the Event content type.

Select the Description column, and set that to hidden.

Next, on the settings screen select - Add from existing site list or column & select your newly created 'Event Description' site column.

-tom daly
    Monday, September 12, 2011 7:51 PM
  • Hmmm,  I wonder how that would work then if the calendar is connected to outlook and the event creation is made there?  Would the info typed into the outlook calendar (body field) end up in the Event Description field, or would it go into that hidden Description field?
    There are no mistakes; every result tells you something of value about what you're are trying to accomplish.
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 8:18 PM
  • Well no, I've checked it out and through outlook it writes to the regular Description field.

If you enter in a link in the body through outlook it will be displayed as a link in sharepoint in the description field. Even though through the ui edit mode, you cannot add a link or html.

-tom daly
    • Marked as answer by run4it Wednesday, September 14, 2011 2:59 PM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 4:57 AM