none
VSTO 2013 Word 2013 best practices RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Not sure where to start.
    I have VS2013 Ult + VSTO and Office 2013 (Word and Excel). I have to create addin or module that would create the buttons onto Ribbon in Word and Excel (2013 Office only).

The buttons should open a dialog window. With the information obtained from dialog, will be generated a header and footer to document (on the front page a different header).

I'm already have buttons, ribbon, and code that generates some test headers. I tested in VS2013 and it looks like worked in Word2013. I did not find the code examples for creating header and footer in Excel worksheet (Is this possible?).

Here, then, some of the questions raised:
    * What would be the best practice to solve this kind problem? VSTO? VBA Add-In? New WebApps?
    * How to deploy this solution in intranet domain to every workstation automatically?

I googled, but didnt find any working solution to my problems.

Thank U for advance!
    Sorry my bad english...
    Muhv
    Friday, March 14, 2014 7:48 AM

Answers

• Hello Muv,

A VSTO add-in is the right choice.

Please see the XL: Inserting and Formatting Text in Headers and Footers article for more information about headers and footers in Excel. Also you can use the Macro recorder build into Excel and record all the steps you want to do programmatically in the code. Then you can see the code generated automatically in the background. You can read more about this in the Create or delete a macro article.

Finally, you can use group policy objects for deploying the add-in for every workstation automatically. You just need to create a windows installer for your add-in. Then domain administrator can create a policy for installing the add-in on users PCs automatically.

Friday, March 14, 2014 8:22 PM