Create a custom tile for a shortcut

Question

• Is it possible to create a custom made tile for a shortcut that leads to a program like Photoshop, or any type of game? And with 'custom made', i mean, a tile with the same functions as a tile for a windows 8 app.

Why i wan't to do this, is because the tiles of the .exe files on the start screen don't fit with the other tiles. They are too ugly. So i am trying to find a way to customize them. Please help

Regards,

Releef

Thursday, November 1, 2012 1:44 AM

Answers

• Hi Releef,

From your description, it seems you want to create a custom tile on the Live Tile (start menu screen) for a traditional application (instead of a Windows Store app), correct?

I'm afraid for traditional windows application (non windows store ones), we cannot add Windows Store app specific live tiles for them. The small tiles you see (the ugly one you mentioned :)) are added through standard windows "shortcut" links in the "Start Menu" folder. Therefore, if you do want to create a custom "tile" for them, one possible means is to manually add a "shortcut" (.lnk) in the "Start Menu" folder which points to the application you want to tile to launch. You can provide a custom Icon for the shortcut file. You navigate into the Windows 8 "Start Menu" folder at ( replace "C:" with your system drive):

c:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\

Also, since this is a normal windows shortcut link, it won't have the powerful feature like the real live tile of windows store application.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. Putting communities in your palms. Launch the browser on your phone now, type aka.ms/msforums and get connected!

• Marked as answer by Song Tian Tuesday, November 13, 2012 6:47 AM
    Friday, November 2, 2012 6:00 AM