Starting a workflow from a Calendar Workspace? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, on our team site (based on the Case Management for Government Agencies template), I added a Calendar webpart (recurring meetings) and each distinct calendar item has it's own workspace.  This is very convenient to track issues, decisions, objectives...  In each Calendar workspace, there is a "Tasks" list for which I would like to have a workflow adding a item on the "Tasks" list, based on the "Status" field of the "Decisions" list, still on the same Calendar workspace. 

Can it be done?

Thursday, May 12, 2011 5:43 PM

Answers

• Hi StephaneLeFou,

Yeah, you can design a custom workflow to add the new item in the "Tasks" list, and workflow based on the "Status" field of the "Decisions" with SharePoint Designer 2007.

1.       Create a new workflow attached to the "Decisions", Next.

2.       For Conditions: select "Compare Decisions field", set the condition of "Status".

For Actions: select the "Create List Item", and set the values in "Tasks" as you required.

3.       Finish.

Workflow will create the new item in "Tasks" by the "Status" (in Decisions) condition.

Thanks & Regards,

Daniel

• Marked as answer by StephaneLeFou Wednesday, May 18, 2011 11:17 AM
    Tuesday, May 17, 2011 9:53 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Are you using Visual Studio workflows or SPD workflows?

Thanks!

Tom

Tom Molskow - SharePoint Architect - Microsoft Community Contributor 2011 Award - Linked-In - SharePoint Gypsy
    Friday, May 13, 2011 1:10 AM
  • Hi StephaneLeFou,

Yeah, you can design a custom workflow to add the new item in the "Tasks" list, and workflow based on the "Status" field of the "Decisions" with SharePoint Designer 2007.

2.       For Conditions: select "Compare Decisions field", set the condition of "Status".

For Actions: select the "Create List Item", and set the values in "Tasks" as you required.

3.       Finish.

Workflow will create the new item in "Tasks" by the "Status" (in Decisions) condition.

Thanks & Regards,

Daniel

• Marked as answer by StephaneLeFou Wednesday, May 18, 2011 11:17 AM
    Tuesday, May 17, 2011 9:53 AM
  • Hi StephaneLeFou,

3.       Finish.

Thanks & Regards,

Daniel

This partially works.  I changed a little bit the way I want to do things.  Instead of using the Tasks list created with each Calendar Workspace, I want to use the Tasks list from the Site.  As you may know, with the "Case Management for Government Agencies" template, the "Case" field in the Tasks list ls a lookup field from the Cases list.  Now, I just can't find the way of identifying the proper Case Number from the Cases lists from a workflow stated in my "Decisions" list.  

If you want to recreate the scenario, create a site based on the CMGA template (Create at least two list items in Cases), add a new custom list: "Decisions" in which you add a Choice field: "Issue Status" (Not Started/Active/Closed).  Then, create a workflow from Decisions (e.g. when the Issue Status=Active) which will add a new list item in Tasks.  How do you map the list item from the Cases list?  

I am using SharePoint Designer 2007.

Thanks.

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 10:39 AM