Can any one suggest any good topic on which I can do Engineering Project in windows mobile? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,
                      I wish to create some good application in windows mobile.  A client-server architecture like,in which mobile is the client and server is a remote web/db server.

Please give your ideas as soon as possible.

Thanks in advance

Regards.
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 3:22 AM

Answers

• Hi,

For  your requirement(client-server), I feel its the best aproach and easy way.

Step by Step: Developing a SQL Mobile Application with Visual Studio 2005 and SQL Server 2005

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa454892.aspx

Regards,
    Malleswar

• Marked as answer by ZHE ZHAO Monday, August 31, 2009 8:00 AM
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 4:37 AM
  • I think he is looking for an actual idea, from a business or user perspective.

I had an inquiry recently that would make a perfect learning application. The client application (Windows Mobile) would be used  by tow truck drivers to register the details of each car that they tow. Each record is sent to a central server using web services (details in clude license plate, time, driver ID, perhaps even GPS co-ordinates). Then, if someone finds their car missing, they can call a number and find out whether the car has been entered into the database; therefore knowing whether it was towed or stolen.

If you wanted to get creative, you could use the API from an SMS provider such as clickatell (http://www.clickatell.com/developers/clickatell_api.php) so that people can text (SMS) their license plate to a certian phone number, and receive an SMS reply of whether or not the car has been towed.

Wednesday, August 26, 2009 10:07 PM

All replies

• Hi,

For  your requirement(client-server), I feel its the best aproach and easy way.

Step by Step: Developing a SQL Mobile Application with Visual Studio 2005 and SQL Server 2005

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa454892.aspx

Regards,
    Malleswar

Tuesday, August 25, 2009 4:37 AM
  • ok.thanks coz you have mentioned the resource but I wish to know any "idea" to implement

and also how can i save any file type in any of the above mentioned database?

regards.
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 7:45 PM
  • Hi,

That link helps you to maintain client - server architecture. Main database( SQL Server), local database( SQL Mobile edition) on mobile syncs the data by using SQL CE dll. Creating this stuff is very easy by using merge replication. In that link, you can find it step by step representation.

So finally I was suggesting Merge replication for your requirement. Please let me know if you feel that its not suitable.

Regards,
    Malleswar
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 4:54 AM
  • I think he is looking for an actual idea, from a business or user perspective.

I had an inquiry recently that would make a perfect learning application. The client application (Windows Mobile) would be used  by tow truck drivers to register the details of each car that they tow. Each record is sent to a central server using web services (details in clude license plate, time, driver ID, perhaps even GPS co-ordinates). Then, if someone finds their car missing, they can call a number and find out whether the car has been entered into the database; therefore knowing whether it was towed or stolen.

If you wanted to get creative, you could use the API from an SMS provider such as clickatell (http://www.clickatell.com/developers/clickatell_api.php) so that people can text (SMS) their license plate to a certian phone number, and receive an SMS reply of whether or not the car has been towed.

Wednesday, August 26, 2009 10:07 PM
  • thanks a lot.

This idea is really good idea i will look into it .

But from our curriculum point of view this will fall short as from our institutes some thing really Innovative is expected.

So please let me know any ideas with some more complexity than above.

Thanks again

Regards.
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 9:10 AM
  • Also check this previous discussion which looks similar.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vssmartdevicesvbcs/thread/80efb888-781c-4b65-99d1-1f60ce10e304

This samples may help you to get better ideas:

Regards,
    Malleswar
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 9:13 AM
  • Thanks a lot for that link Malleswar.

BUT still my problem is not solved! coz for my engg level project i need something larger in size and complexity!  and all the projects on the above link are very interesting!

They are not summing up to a big project! please advice suitably. if not mobile then some other framework based project suggested is most welcomed (Eg desktop c# applications)

Thanks & Regards.
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 10:45 PM
  • Hi,

For mobile you need to more efforts even though it looks small as mobiles have limitations.

In that case I can suggest a better idea, try to take the existing desktop application and try to migrate to Mobile whcih is going be good. 

Eg: Video Library, Hospital Management system,.....

Coming to desktop there are millions of applications available already. If you want to make something new, Mobile application is best idea.

These kind of projects are with database and may look large also.

Please let me know if you need any suggestions regarding this.

Regards,
    Malleswar

Thursday, September 3, 2009 4:28 AM
  • hi,

thanks,  migration sounds great! , please give suggestions . Just try that, the proposed implementation is not widely available.

Uniqueness and innovative : are the qualities i am looking for.

Thanks in advance.
    Thursday, September 3, 2009 8:42 PM
  • Hi,

I think Bluetooth chatting, mobile as TV remote, Mobile Tracer, Billing system ( hospitals or other organizations), Inventory system, Location based services,.................

Upto what extend you idea can afford and how many people can involve in that development?

Regards,
    Malleswar
    Friday, September 4, 2009 7:29 AM

• I have till march of next year for this project. there are 2 people involved for this project.

We will be having regular college and we will be working on weekends.
    Friday, September 4, 2009 4:37 PM
  • no reply from you friend, long time.  busy?
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 4:45 PM
  • Hi,

Mobile projects are not that easy to complete, it will need lot of R & D and efforts to complete. I feel the projects which I mentioned above are good for your academic project.

Bluetooth chat:

You can support cross mobile platforms. That means you have make an applications for almost 4 - 5 different mobile platforms and need different programming languages and IDEs.

In the similar way the other projects are also have different features which. So try to explore them, lot of functionality is required.

Please let me know if you have any more queries on this.

Regards,
    Malleswar

Tuesday, September 15, 2009 4:54 PM
  • thanks a lot.

I will look into it.

Saturday, September 19, 2009 7:23 AM