Class Library Central Network location RRS feed

• Question

• User-568296000 posted

Hi,

I'm planning an architecture to handle a multi-server environment.

The main problem I'm facing  is that the system will need to evolve, so changes and additions need to be manageable. There will be in the region of 100 instances of web-parts / web sites across the servers in question.

I've been exploring web services, which are great because it will easily enable us to merge and control the data that will be displayed in the client projects, without having to manage Class Library versions in all the client projects/ servers.

However, it would be better if we could employ a central class library which all the projects reference. However, from doing some testing of this concept it didn't work for me....I suspect because when a project is 'Built' a copy of the DLL is cached, therefore changes to the central library aren't picked up by the client projects...

If I changed the underlying class library to add an asterisk after a surname, for example, then uploaded it to the central location, none of the client projects 'saw' that change and continued to operate as if there had been no change..recompiling each one would be painful to say the least.

Is there any way around this or general guidance on how best to proceed....I'd hate to write off the potential of a centrally based class library data access system, with custom query objects and filters.

Any pointers would be great....

Thanks,

Jimbob

Monday, April 26, 2010 12:45 PM

Answers

• User1972336035 posted

Also to note, for testing purpose build the libraries in "Debug" mode and not in "Release" mode.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, April 26, 2010 3:11 PM

All replies

• User1972336035 posted

I also faced similar kind of problem in my project, what i use to do is update something in web.config file (add a space or delete a space)of application that use to reference these dlls n save it and applicaiton use to accept the change, check if this works for you as well. 

Monday, April 26, 2010 3:08 PM
  • User1972336035 posted

Also to note, for testing purpose build the libraries in "Debug" mode and not in "Release" mode.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, April 26, 2010 3:11 PM