Debugging driver and driver test app on target PC RRS feed

• Question

• I've been messing around with the sample application given here: http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/windowshardware/WudfVhidmini-Sample-b304f83a

Initially I was just doing it locally since that was easy, but it quickly became annoying as I had to restart sometimes. As a result I set up a VM with windows 8, and successfully got VS to deploy to the VM. This sample app, also has a project for a test app to make sure the driver works.

I can deploy the whole solution to the VM, but I'm a bit unclear how I can get the test app to run on the test computer, and how to debug it using the VS from the host?

Thursday, November 15, 2012 12:51 AM

Answers

• you can deploy it by copying it over yourself or choosig a custom deploy option instead of using the devcon option. i would just go with the first option

to debug in VS, there might be a VS option to remote deploy an EXE outside of the WDK. i don't know how to set up remote debugging in VS. alternatively you could run windbg on the VM and debug the app that way.

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, November 15, 2012 5:23 AM
  • I accidentally stumbled across how to get extra files to be copied at deploy time from this MSDN article: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/hh454835(v=vs.85).aspx under Configuration Properties, Driver Install, Deployment, Additional Files, this being under the properties of package Project. 

Another way that works better when we're talking about files from Projects in the same Solution, you can also make the package project dependable on the package whose output you want sent along. In my case I needed the .exe that is output-ed by one of my other projects so it worked great.

Thought I should update this for future devs.

Friday, November 23, 2012 4:20 AM

All replies

• you can deploy it by copying it over yourself or choosig a custom deploy option instead of using the devcon option. i would just go with the first option

to debug in VS, there might be a VS option to remote deploy an EXE outside of the WDK. i don't know how to set up remote debugging in VS. alternatively you could run windbg on the VM and debug the app that way.

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, November 15, 2012 5:23 AM
  • I accidentally stumbled across how to get extra files to be copied at deploy time from this MSDN article: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/hh454835(v=vs.85).aspx under Configuration Properties, Driver Install, Deployment, Additional Files, this being under the properties of package Project. 

Another way that works better when we're talking about files from Projects in the same Solution, you can also make the package project dependable on the package whose output you want sent along. In my case I needed the .exe that is output-ed by one of my other projects so it worked great.

Thought I should update this for future devs.

Friday, November 23, 2012 4:20 AM