none
editable regions not available RRS feed

• Question

• Within a dwt I created a table with one row and two columns.  I added text in the first column that I want to see on every page.  Then I needed to make the second column an editable region.  I tried to right click on it and I tried menu opitons, there does not seem to be a manage editable regions selection.  What am I doing wrong?  I am using Expression Web 4.
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 4:18 AM

All replies

• You can't split a table into editable and non-editable regions of a site. You can't split anything like that.

It also sounds as though you are using the table for page layout. If that's the case, don't . Tables are for tabular data only.

Use DIVs for page layout; then you can have one or more divs in the non-editable region and one or more in the editable part.

If that's not it, tell us more and post a link to the page as it says in the Forum FAQ.

Ugh!--The Holidays are here: the deadlines, the shopping, the traffic, the crowds... It's a jingle out there!
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 5:22 AM
  • Bill, actually you can put an editable region inside a table cell, which is all the OP needs to do, from the sound of it.  I just tried it.  (Never tried it before, since I don't use tables for page layout.)

And, even more interestingly, an editable region inside a table cell brings back the "editable" visual indicator (light, not shaded out) that was lost in EW4 SP2.  Too bad it only works in table cells. [EDIT: it works in divs, too, as long as the editable region is inside the div, and not the div inside the editable region - the later being the default situation for a new DWT created by EW.  Any html element inside the editable region turns off the editable (light) formatting.  Interesting find.  :) ]

Debonser:  Select the td you want to contain an editable region.  Then right-click in it - you'll see the "Manage Editable Regions" menu item.

I would advise learning how to format the page with divs (and floats and clears when you want them side-by-side).  But the layout police won't come knocking on your door if you don't.

• Edited by KathyW2 Thursday, December 15, 2011 6:23 AM
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 5:54 AM
  • Ah, I forgot that the table was only one row, so yeah, the second "column" is only one cell. That'd work (unlike a real column of multiple cells). But I'm afraid I'd have to rat her out to the layout police if she's using that table for layout. ;-)
    Ugh!--The Holidays are here: the deadlines, the shopping, the traffic, the crowds... It's a jingle out there!
    Friday, December 16, 2011 12:28 PM