none
planning on premise to cloud RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I am planning to move my on premise production to cloud, but cost is the main factor here, I tried searching online but seems confusing, let me explain my current prod config and I require help to be educated for which option I should think of in cloud considering price main factor.

CPU = 24 cores.

Memory = 256 GB

DB size= 10 TB (4 DBs)

processing is mainly for analytics and reporting.

Thanks in advance

SQL Server DBA

Friday, September 13, 2019 6:34 AM

Answers

• Azure VMs are broadly categorized into categories, they are documented here

General Purpose (Av2, B, DC, Dsv3, Dv3, DSv2, Dv2) – Balanced ratio of CPU and memory
    Compute optimized (Fsv2, Fs, F) – High CPU
    Memory optimized (Esv3, Ev3, M, GS, G, DSv2, Dv2) – High memory
    Storage optimized (Lsv2, Ls) – High disk throughput and IO

For the kind of hardware specs that you have posted and considering that you would be using this as a data warehouse and not a transactional database, you could leverage the Memory Optimized or Storage Optimized tiers.

Coming to your question on equivalent hardware in Azure, I would recommend you start with Standard_E32s_v3 (Memory Optimized) or Standard_L32s (Storage Optimized) SKU and scale up or down accordingly.

Here is a handy tool that you can use to filter the SKU's

-

If this answers your query, do click “Mark as Answer” and Up-Vote for the same which might be beneficial to other community members reading this thread .

And, if you have any further query do let us know. 

Monday, September 16, 2019 9:49 AM

All replies

• Are you planning to move your workload to a VM in Azure or to SQL Data Warehouse - a managed service in Azure.

We will not be able to make a recommendation just by looking at the hardware specs of your existing infrastructure because the pricing depends on other factors like CPU consumption, peak usage, back up requirements etc

A good starting point would be the pricing calculator here

Friday, September 13, 2019 10:14 AM
  • Hi Kalyan,

Thanks for your valuable Inputs, Let say I am planning to move it to Azure VM, I visited to the Price calculator page and I found many options to select configuration. my question here is, If i consider the same config of my current physical server which has processor : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2680 v3 @ 2.50GHz - 2 physical CPU

1 CPU has 12 cores means 2 CPU=24 cores

with hyperthreading enabled it is 48 cores 

and 256 GB RAM

when I look at Azure VMs I find so many type of configuration, i want to match up performance of New Azure VM with my current Physical server. which config i need to select?

Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2680 v3 @ 2.50GHz

SQL Server DBA

Friday, September 13, 2019 11:00 AM
  • Azure VMs are broadly categorized into categories, they are documented here

General Purpose (Av2, B, DC, Dsv3, Dv3, DSv2, Dv2) – Balanced ratio of CPU and memory
    Compute optimized (Fsv2, Fs, F) – High CPU
    Memory optimized (Esv3, Ev3, M, GS, G, DSv2, Dv2) – High memory
    Storage optimized (Lsv2, Ls) – High disk throughput and IO

For the kind of hardware specs that you have posted and considering that you would be using this as a data warehouse and not a transactional database, you could leverage the Memory Optimized or Storage Optimized tiers.

Coming to your question on equivalent hardware in Azure, I would recommend you start with Standard_E32s_v3 (Memory Optimized) or Standard_L32s (Storage Optimized) SKU and scale up or down accordingly.

Here is a handy tool that you can use to filter the SKU's

-

If this answers your query, do click “Mark as Answer” and Up-Vote for the same which might be beneficial to other community members reading this thread .

Monday, September 16, 2019 9:49 AM
  • Just checking in to see if the above answer(s) helped.

• Marked as answer by Zeal DBA Wednesday, December 4, 2019 8:55 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Zeal DBA Wednesday, December 4, 2019 8:55 AM
    Tuesday, September 17, 2019 10:34 AM