none
Error Connecting SQL Database Engine

Question

• HI Team, 

I am facing an error . 

When i try to connect the sql database engine from SSMS in the remote server where the instance is installed, i can connect it ., Where asif the same is been trying to connect from my local machine i couldnt connect

but i can connect the other instance ( old one) from my local machine , Can you please help me to know the cause 

hemadri

Thursday, January 12, 2017 7:57 AM

All replies

• 1. Make sure SQL Server Service is running
    2. If a named instance, make sure SQL Server browser service is running
    3. Make sure SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections
    4. Examine the SQL Server error log for messages confirming that SQL is listening on the expected network interfaces and ports
    5. Test server connectivity with PING from the client machine
    6. Test port connectivity using TELNET or PowerShell to the server and port (from step 4) from the client machine.  For example
    a. TELNET <server-name> 1433
    b. PowerShell: 1433 | % { echo ((new-object Net.Sockets.TcpClient).Connect("YourServerName",$_)) "server listening on TCP port $_" }
    7. Check firewall settings if step 5 or 6 connectivity test fails

Best Regards,Uri Dimant SQL Server MVP, http://sqlblog.com/blogs/uri_dimant/

MS SQL optimization: MS SQL Development and Optimization
    MS SQL Consulting: Large scale of database and data cleansing
    Remote DBA Services: Improves MS SQL Database Performance
    SQL Server Integration Services: Business Intelligence

Thursday, January 12, 2017 8:02 AM
  • Hemadri,

I see you are trying to connect to named instance (RAMCO) on that server. You need to make sure SQL Server Port number assigned to this named Instance of SQL server is open in firewall.

Thanks,

Kindly mark the reply as answer if they help

Thursday, January 12, 2017 8:12 AM
  • Seems like port is not opened or some firewall rule or exception needs to be made for the machine in firewall. 

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/2102.how-to-troubleshoot-connecting-to-the-sql-server-database-engine.aspx

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Thursday, January 12, 2017 8:14 AM
  • Hi Hemadribabu,

From what I see you are using named pipes, therefore(if I understand this correctly) tcp port 445 need to be opened on remote server.

Or, could you please try again by switch to TCP/IP protocol? If the issue persists, please run this script on remote server to make sure it’s configured correctly.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Regards,
    Lin

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 12, 2017 9:40 AM