none
BodyType values RRS feed

• Question

• Can anyone describe the BodyType values as seen in the BodyType column in an Exchange 2013 EDB?

So far I can tell BodyType 1 means UTF-16LE text, and BodyType 3 means HTML.  Any others types possible?  What about RTF?

Thanks,
    Phillip
    Monday, August 11, 2014 4:10 PM

Answers

• Hi Phillip, the EDB file format is undocumented and currently there are no plans to publish it. Please see the following thread that discusses this for more information.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/7c611c22-36d7-44d4-aa6d-02ee6f6e24c4/interact-directly-with-edb-files?forum=os_exchangeprotocols

You can make certain assumptions about the value(s) stored in the EDB file based on the protocol documentation. However, there is no guarantee that the format or value of a property will be stored in the same format as it is when sent over the wire.

Please note that interacting directly with and/or modifying the EDB file could cause severe corruption and is not recommended or supported.

I was able to find the following references to "BodyType" in the Exchange Server protocol documentation. As you can see, it helps, but isn't definitive.

MS-ASAIRS 2.2.2.16 NativeBodyType

1. Plain Text
    2. HTML
    3. RTF

MS-ASCMD 2.2.3.17 BodyType

This is a string instead of an integer, but holds a value of "HTML" or "Text"

MS-OXWSCDATA 2.2.5.2 t:BodyTypeType Simple Type

<xs:simpleType name="BodyTypeType">

<xs:restriction base="xs:string">

<xs:enumeration value="HTML"/>

<xs:enumeration value="Text"/>

</xs:restriction>

</xs:simpleType>

MS-OXWSCDATA 2.2.5.1 t:BodyTypeResponseType Simple Type

<xs:simpleType name="BodyTypeResponseType">

<xs:enumeration value="Best"/>

Josh Curry (jcurry) | Escalation Engineer | Open Specifications Support Team

Thursday, August 14, 2014 7:26 PM

All replies

• Hi StarShock:

I have alerted the open specifications team regarding your inquiry. A member of the team will be in touch through this thread soon.

Regards, Obaid Farooqi

Monday, August 11, 2014 7:08 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Phillip, I am the engineer who will be working with you on this issue. I am currently researching the problem and will provide you with an update soon. Thank you for your patience.

Tuesday, August 12, 2014 5:17 PM
  • Thanks; any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Thursday, August 14, 2014 4:52 PM
  • Hi Phillip, the EDB file format is undocumented and currently there are no plans to publish it. Please see the following thread that discusses this for more information.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/7c611c22-36d7-44d4-aa6d-02ee6f6e24c4/interact-directly-with-edb-files?forum=os_exchangeprotocols

You can make certain assumptions about the value(s) stored in the EDB file based on the protocol documentation. However, there is no guarantee that the format or value of a property will be stored in the same format as it is when sent over the wire.

Please note that interacting directly with and/or modifying the EDB file could cause severe corruption and is not recommended or supported.

I was able to find the following references to "BodyType" in the Exchange Server protocol documentation. As you can see, it helps, but isn't definitive.

MS-ASAIRS 2.2.2.16 NativeBodyType

1. Plain Text
    2. HTML
    3. RTF

MS-ASCMD 2.2.3.17 BodyType

This is a string instead of an integer, but holds a value of "HTML" or "Text"

MS-OXWSCDATA 2.2.5.2 t:BodyTypeType Simple Type

<xs:simpleType name="BodyTypeType">

MS-OXWSCDATA 2.2.5.1 t:BodyTypeResponseType Simple Type

<xs:simpleType name="BodyTypeResponseType">

<xs:enumeration value="Best"/>

Thursday, August 14, 2014 7:26 PM
  • Thanks.  At this point it appears most likely that in an Exchange EDB I will only find Text or HTML body, not RTF.  Hopefully that holds true.

Please let me know if Microsoft ever decides to release documentation for the EDB file format and/or the format of fields used in an Exchange mailbox EDB.

Friday, August 15, 2014 5:24 PM