Managed Metadata for Partner RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We wanted to host Partner Collaboration sites without use of Multi-Tenancy . So, for search isolation we plan to use search scopes.

Is there a way that with same Managed metadata service application instance ( without doing partition) , we are able to show  required term store only to a Partner site ?

I understand advantages of Multi-Tenancy , but still if there is an answer for above question , would like to know answer ?

Thanks.

Vipin Kumar Tanwar ( Technology Architect )
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 8:39 AM

Answers

• I don't have an environment handy to explain the steps, but you can read about it in the scenario section of this technet article:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee424403.aspx

Regards

John Timney

• Marked as answer by corinap Friday, October 22, 2010 10:16 PM
    Friday, October 22, 2010 9:39 PM

All replies

• Hi,

you could create a new managed metadata service for your customers.

Cheers,

Daniel Bugday

Web: SharePoint Forum
    Company: I work at
    Blog: SharePoint By Bugday
    Twitter: Follow me on Twitter
    Technet: My Ask The Exert Area On Technet
    Linked In: My Linked In

Thursday, October 21, 2010 9:19 AM
  • Okies.. i was guessing so there is no means .. and as daniel pointed only way it to create diff manage metadata service for all customers.. which i will not want .. so i need Muti-tenancy here.

Thursday, October 21, 2010 9:37 AM
  • You could create a local term set at the site collection level for each customer, that would only be available to that site collection and thus only to that customer. 

A connection from a primary or secondary managed metadata service and term set groups to every Web application that contains a site collection for your customer would be less work than managing a tenent.  At least that way customers with a related base term set could consume a single set and still have the ability to add local terms on a site collection basis.

Regards

John Timney
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 1:20 PM
  • John - How to do "create a local term set at the site collection level for each customer, that would only be available to that site collection and thus only to that customer".

I checked Site Collection -> Site Settings -> Term Store Management and it opens the Managed Metadata Service  showing all term stores which i created via Central Admin ... Then how to create a local term set at a site collection ?

Thanks,

Vipin

Friday, October 22, 2010 4:21 AM
  • I don't have an environment handy to explain the steps, but you can read about it in the scenario section of this technet article:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee424403.aspx

Regards

John Timney

• Marked as answer by corinap Friday, October 22, 2010 10:16 PM
    Friday, October 22, 2010 9:39 PM