none
301 Redirect RRS feed

• Question

• To learn to do a 301 Redirect, as you all suggested, I searched for online tutorials and I called my hosting company. When I did the steps and tested it, my site was down. I deleted the testfile and my site came back up. Can anyone tell me what I need to fix this?

I did the following:

In notepad I created a file called htaccess.txt. I put my code in it, and on the FTP I renamed it to .htaccess and then I imported it into my website on the top level. Here's the code I had used, based on one of the tutorials I saw:

redirect 301 /default-9-2010.htm http://www.ballmediainnovations.com/Articlestableofcontents.htm 

By the way, these are just old pages I'm using as test pages, not the actual pages.

Thanks!

Thursday, October 14, 2010 3:05 PM

All replies

• What do you mean your site was down?  What failed?  What error?  What was the full contents of your htaccess file?
    --
    Chris Hanscom - Microsoft MVP
    On Facebook | On Twitter | Resource Center | Veign's Blog | Web Development Help

Get a Complete Website Analysis by Veign
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 3:09 PM
  • The above line of code I showed you was the full contents of that file.

When I tried the redirect page, or any page of my site, I got this page with the following message:

IISPassword
    The page cannot be displayed
    There is a problem with the page youare trying to reach and it cannot be displayed. It is most likely that configuration files for this url are corrupted.

Please try the following:

• Click the Refresh button, or try again later.
    • Open the home page, and then look for links to the information you want.
    • If you believe you should be able to view this directory or page, please contact the Web site administrator by using the e-mail address or phone number listed on the home page.
    HTTP Error 500
    IISPassword for Internet Information Services

Thursday, October 14, 2010 3:42 PM
  • htaccess only works on an Apache server and it looks like you are on a Windows Server.  You need to use IIS to perform the redirect (either directly through the IIS console or indirectly through a control panel provided by your web host)

--
    On Facebook | On Twitter | Resource Center | Veign's Blog | Web Development Help

Thursday, October 14, 2010 3:49 PM
  • Wow they directed me to use this method. In my experiences, this provider has such BAD support. On top of that the tech support person directed me to use Filezilla rather than their FTP panel, which I ended up using. I plan to change providers in a few months, after I've been able to compare statistics with the new released pages.   

I know this will sound really entry level, but does EW have an IIS console? I doubt Hostway has one, or that if they do, their tech support will be able to direct me.

Thursday, October 14, 2010 3:57 PM
  • No, it's on the server, not local. That's where IIS is located, and where the control functionality for it will be found. What do you have? Plesk 8.1 or so is common on Windows servers.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 4:06 PM
  • They were right to direct you to Filezilla.  As far as FTP clients go Filezilla is a great choice (free).  Most hosts will recommend it if asked.

As far as stats, I would start using Google Analytics.  This way your history is retained regardless of the server/web host used.  Great way to maintain a history of your websites performance.

--
    On Facebook | Resource Center | Veign's Blog | Web Development Help

Thursday, October 14, 2010 4:22 PM
  • ???

OK, I get the part about Filezilla, since the OP mentioned it in his initial post, but how did we get onto analytics? I thought we were talking about creating a permanent redirect. Did I miss something?  ;-)

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 4:30 PM
  • I think Chris was referring to the fact that I'm staying with this company so I can see the comparison in stats before and after the page changes. I think Google stats is a great idea. Perhaps I can add in code for both stat programs (hostway's Urchin and Google's stats program). Is that okay to do?

I called the company again (hostway.com by the way) and after being placed on hold so they can research, the tech person told me that they don't have anything to do with this, and that I should google 301 Redirect. So aggravating!

I asked to have this escalated, and they send you to their Canadian tech office. They told me that with a shared server I can't access the IIS. I can either use a program called ISAPI with directions on ISAPIrewrite.com, or start a trouble ticket and have them do it for me once I'm ready. This ISAPI is supposedly a rewrite of a 301 direct. Does anyone know if this is a good alternative as far as the search engines go?

I'm wondering if it wouldn't just be easier to save a copy of the new page onto the old page address. It would make life easier and I could control when the changeover happens.

My concern is that I would have two pages that look exactly the same on my site, and I wonder if it may cause penalties with the search engines. Any thoughts?  

• Edited by Videoman1 Thursday, October 14, 2010 5:13 PM left something out
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 5:12 PM
  • You don't want two pages of the same content.  Just switch hosts (to a Linux server) and do the htaccess redirect.  Save yourself lots of headache.

I recommend Host Gator to clients.

--
    On Facebook | Resource Center | Veign's Blog | Web Development Help

Thursday, October 14, 2010 5:17 PM
  • "This ISAPI is supposedly a rewrite of a 301 direct. Does anyone know if this is a good alternative as far as the search engines go?"

ISAPI lets you do a lot more than just a 301 redirect; that's just the feature you plan on using.  It will be fine.  A redirect is a redirect: as long as the search engines see the 301 redirect, it's all the same to them how you did it.

Thursday, October 14, 2010 5:20 PM