none
Printer Filter Driver RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

What is the best way of blocking all printing on a machine? This needs to include local and network printers, and ideally print to file if possible. 

I assume a filter driver for the printer class but want to make sure this is the right approach.

Thanks

Thursday, January 23, 2014 10:51 AM

Answers

• Assuming that the user is not admin on the machine. Disable the Print Spooler service.

This can be deployed through a domain policy or scripted.

Using sc.exe,  one can perform the configuration against remote machines as well.

Alan Morris Windows Printing Team

Thursday, January 23, 2014 6:26 PM

All replies

• Assuming that the user is not admin on the machine. Disable the Print Spooler service.

This can be deployed through a domain policy or scripted.

Using sc.exe,  one can perform the configuration against remote machines as well.

Thursday, January 23, 2014 6:26 PM
  • Thanks for the suggestion. 

However stopping the service may cause applications to report errors, which may be cryptic and result in support calls to the system administrator. 

Ideally we would like to silently prevent the printing, i.e. allow the job to spool and then silently drop it, which is why I thought a driver might be best.

Thursday, January 23, 2014 9:14 PM
  • When we stop the spooler server the user is prompted "Do you wish to add a printer", can we block printing silently?
    Friday, January 24, 2014 5:21 AM
  • Many applications attempt to define the page size using information from a default printer. 

Managing a driver for local printers will be a major task.

When the spooler is running, people can print.

You could always setup a company policy that people can't print.  But that's for you to determine.

Friday, January 24, 2014 11:54 PM