Visual Studio could not copy a support file to this location: VS 2005 RRS feed

• Question

• The path is on a network share that is set to make available offline, but I am online. Everybody in the company that has Vista, has thier Documents folder redirected to the network share by default for obvious reasons. This used to work for me.

I can compile the application. This error comes when I try to debug the application.

I have found other people that posted this question, but nobody ever posted an answer other than to check your permissions on the share. That is not the issue.

This is my output from build

------ Build started: Project: MoveImacsFileToMedeFinance, Configuration: Debug Any CPU ------

MoveImacsFileToMedeFinance -> \\PTMDCFP01\Users$\TerryO\terryo\Visual Studio 2005\Projects\MoveImacsFileToMedeFinance\bin\Debug\MoveImacsFileToMedeFinance.exe

========== Build: 1 succeeded or up-to-date, 0 failed, 0 skipped ==========

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 2:48 PM

Answers

• Terry,

This error message is returned when the visual studio hosting process cannot be enabled at the share location. Try disabling the hosting process in your project (right mouse click your project, goto properties, choose the Debug property page, and make sure the "Enable Visual Studio Hosting Process" check box is not checked.

I have no idea why copying that file would fail if building to that location is succeeding though.

Jackson

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 5:11 PM
  • Thank you Jackson. That was the issue. Funny, I did not run into it earlier.

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 7:15 PM

All replies

• Terry,

This error message is returned when the visual studio hosting process cannot be enabled at the share location. Try disabling the hosting process in your project (right mouse click your project, goto properties, choose the Debug property page, and make sure the "Enable Visual Studio Hosting Process" check box is not checked.

I have no idea why copying that file would fail if building to that location is succeeding though.

Jackson

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 5:11 PM
  • Thank you Jackson. That was the issue. Funny, I did not run into it earlier.

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 7:15 PM
  • *Open up task manager

*Find <application>.vshost.exe

*End this process

My collegue and I run into this occasionally when developing. For some reason it can happen frequently to him, but has only happened once to me.

I'm not sure if there is a problem with the garbage collection or I have created some incredibly messy code (very likeky)

Ziplodocus
    • Proposed as answer by Ziplodocus Friday, July 17, 2009 2:40 PM
    Friday, July 17, 2009 2:40 PM
  • Hi, I have the same problem as Terry Orzechowski.

I already tried to turn off the suggested option "Enable Visual Studio Hosting process" but the only thing that changed was that I'm receiving the error in Error List pane instead in message box. I'm working with an Administrator account on Windows 7 so I suppose I should have all the necessary security permissions but still the error occurs. The funny thing is that if I wait a couple of minutes I can build and run the application but if I try to run it immediately after I close it that I get the error in 90% of all tries.

I spotted that the directory attribute "Read-only (applies only to files in folder)" was set. I tried to uncheck it but next time I opened the Properties windows it was checked again.

• Proposed as answer by TheThinkerr Friday, February 19, 2010 5:01 PM
    Saturday, January 23, 2010 5:10 PM
  • Hi Stanislav,

I try to go to Properties on your project after that the Debug page as said above and after that you should have not only check on your "Enable Visual Studio Hosting process" but also on "Enable SQL Server Debugging". That worked for me :)

Greetings from a Bulgarian :P
    • Proposed as answer by TheThinkerr Friday, February 19, 2010 5:03 PM
    Friday, February 19, 2010 5:03 PM
  • I have had this problem with VS 2005 and now with VS 2008.

I created a new installation of VS 2008 on a new computer.  First program that I created had the problem.

As soon as I compile the program and then run it under debug I get the error that process can not run because it is being used by another user.  If I run it a second time I get an error that the vhost.exe is not writable etc..

I moved the new program to the C drive and it worked correctly every time. I deleted the network version of the program and then copied the program from the c drive to the network.  I ran the program and it worked. I compiled the program and I got the error again.

I unchecked the 'Enable the Visual Studio hosting process' compiled and it ran perfect.

From what I have observed is that if the program you create is on the c drive the problem never happens. If you put it on a network drive then i happens.  If I click  "Enable Visual Studio Hosting process" but also on "Enable SQL Server Debugging" the error goes away. I unclicked  "Enable SQL Server Debugging" and no problem.  I unclicked "Enable Visual Studio Hosting process" no problem.

I click "Enable Visual Studio Hosting process" the error starts again. If I shutdown VS 2008 and start up then I do not have problems. It seems that this error is now not only a network problem but it is all so random as sometimes I get the error and other times it does not. 

The program that I created has just 1 form, 1 label, and 1 list box.  Code is:

Public

Class Server

Private Sub Server_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load

End Sub

End

Class

Thursday, March 25, 2010 11:04 PM
  • Thank you Jackson. This is Rajesh. I had also same problem that Terry had. thank for your answer.
    Monday, July 11, 2011 12:52 PM
  • Thanks Jackson for sharing valuable knowledge, this has helped me.

http://support.jesoba.com
    Errors, Troubleshooting, Problem Cases, Performance Monitoring, Best Practices etc.

Monday, May 21, 2012 8:50 PM