change system account to username? RRS feed

• Question

• HI,

I have created out-of-box workflow ,in the version history the modifiedby column  showing as system account instead of username.

so want to display actual username instead of system account.

help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Tuesday, September 7, 2010 9:06 AM

Answers

• Hi,

If you use the application pool account to login the SharePoint site, its display name will be “System Account”. And it will be quite difficult to change this.

Hope it is helpful!

Seven
    • Marked as answer by Seven M Thursday, September 16, 2010 9:58 AM
    Wednesday, September 8, 2010 8:22 AM
  • Hi,

You can check it from central administration > operations > security configuration > service accounts > credential management > web application pool and you can also change the account. But you’d better use the account which has same permissions with your current account, or you will encounter more other issues.

Besides, if it is not application pool account, please go to Central Administration > Application Management > Policy for Web Application.  Then select your web app and if you find your account in the list, click it. In the Edit Users page, clear the Account operates as System checkbox. That should fix this particular problem.

Hope it is helpful!

Seven
    Thursday, September 9, 2010 5:59 AM

All replies

• Hi,

If you use the application pool account to login the SharePoint site, its display name will be “System Account”. And it will be quite difficult to change this.

Hope it is helpful!

Seven
    Wednesday, September 8, 2010 8:22 AM
  • thanks for replay

how can i know the whether the user is in application pool or not.

is there any way to remove the user name from the pool.If i remove is there any effect for the account.

please tell me i need to resolve the issue ASAP.

Thursday, September 9, 2010 2:22 AM
  • Hi,

You can check it from central administration > operations > security configuration > service accounts > credential management > web application pool and you can also change the account. But you’d better use the account which has same permissions with your current account, or you will encounter more other issues.

Besides, if it is not application pool account, please go to Central Administration > Application Management > Policy for Web Application.  Then select your web app and if you find your account in the list, click it. In the Edit Users page, clear the Account operates as System checkbox. That should fix this particular problem.

Hope it is helpful!

Seven
    Thursday, September 9, 2010 5:59 AM
  • Hi,

The workflow showing the modified name as system account for the normal user , who have contribute permissions in the sharepoint site. but i want to show username  who modified in the workflow instead of system account.

Tuesday, September 14, 2010 2:58 AM
  • In central admin, go to "policy for web application", and there's a list of accouts with access to the web app.  Each time you add one, it has a check box as to whether the account should be considered "system account".  So it makes sense that if you remove and re-add that account on this screen, you can just leave that box unchecked.
    Laura Rogers, MCSE, MCTS
    SharePoint911: SharePoint Consulting
    Blog: http://www.sharepoint911.com/blogs/laura
    Twitter: WonderLaura
    Tuesday, September 14, 2010 3:31 AM
  • Hi Seven, 

In my case it was initial showing administrator , but then many changes I did because of issues I was facing with Search settings now it shows System account when logged In as administrator. 

How Can I change it Please? 

My original question regarding these search settings posted here 

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/9c20dc13-d7e9-49f6-b43a-9c121db22b08/search-results-giving-no-results-sharepoint-2013?forum=sharepointadmin

Tech Learner

Friday, November 7, 2014 4:27 PM