The following forum(s) are migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview): Azure Virtual Machines!

Ask new questions on Microsoft Q&A (Preview).
Interact with existing posts until December 13, 2019, after which content will be closed to all new and existing posts.

Learn More

none
Azure - WVD Pricing RRS feed

• Question

• I have few questions regarding Windows virtual desktop Pricing in azure:

1. If I select either pooled/personal and the series of VM. I dont see the option of selecting Windows Server or Windows 10 O/S.

Does that mean the price includes license of Server/windows 10 License or it is just the cost of compute?

2. IF I want to have windows 10 VDI for 50 users(Personal) . Does that mean I need to buy 50 Windows 10 License or it is included in the price I see in the pricing calculator?

3. For the WVD Azure ADDS is a prerequiste. Do we also Need Azue AD? Does Azure AD free sufficient?

Friday, October 11, 2019 1:15 AM

Answers

• Hello PunitJi,

Here is the answer to your 2nd Query:

2. If I dont have on prem AD I believe I have to use Azure ADDS in that case? Do I also need S2S VPN or Express route in that case?

You must either connect to a Windows Server AD Environment that you manage OR connect to Azure AD DS Domain.

For WVD, there is no need to create a site-to-site VPN or Express Route.

If the suggested answer has solved your query, do click on "Mark as Answer" and "Up-Vote" to the answer that helped you for the benefit of the community.

Thanks.

Monday, October 21, 2019 8:42 AM

All replies

• Hello Punditji,

I am reaching out to internal Product team for this. Will update back here once I get the details.

Thanks.

Friday, October 11, 2019 7:00 AM
  • Hi Punditji,

We got the information from the Product team.

Question:

1. If I select either pooled/personal and the series of VM. I dont see the option of selecting Windows Server or Windows 10 O/S.

Where are you seeing this. Can you post a screenshot.  You can run only windows 10 and windows 7.

Question: Does that mean the price includes license of Server/windows 10 License or it is just the cost of compute?

It is not included in the cost calculator. The cost calculator only describes the Azure compute charges. 

Question: 2. IF I want to have windows 10 VDI for 50 users(Personal) . Does that mean I need to buy 50 Windows 10 License or it is included in the price I see in the pricing calculator?

FAQ in this page highlights which licenses make you eligible to use the service: https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/details/virtual-desktop/ .

Question: 3. For the WVD Azure ADDS is a prerequiste. Do we also Need Azue AD? Does Azure AD free sufficient?

Azure AD DS is not a requirement. The requirement is that you have

•  a Windows Server AD and
    •  an Azure AD that is synced with that. Azure AD DS is just one option. Other options are to use site-to-site VPN or an ExpressRoute, if you already have an on-prem AD

Azure AD free should be sufficient.

Please let me know if you have more questions.

For the benefit of the community, Please click on mark as answer for the replied which helped you to solve your problem .

Monday, October 14, 2019 5:30 AM
  • I still have few questions:

1. When I go to the azure Pricing calculator. I can pick series of VM like A,B,D etc. What O/S does that include. I can deploy RDS services with win 10 or server 0/s like server 2016. 

2. If I dont have on prem AD I believe I have to use Azure ADDS in that case? Do I also need S2S VPN or Express route in that case?

Monday, October 14, 2019 4:17 PM
  • Hi,

Please find my answers inline.

Question,

1. When I go to the azure Pricing calculator. I can pick series of VM like A,B,D etc. What O/S does that include. I can deploy RDS services with win 10 or server 0/s like server 2016. 

OS pricing is not included in the pricing calculator. Only compute charged are included.

OS licencing cost will be ad additional charge on top of the charges shown in Pricing calculator. You can use your enterprises license for the OS. Please refer to the first FAQ from this linkThat link has the list of Licenses which you can use with the OS in Windows virtual desktop.

I will check with the team and let you know the answer for the second question.

Thursday, October 17, 2019 8:42 AM
  • Hello PunitJi,

Here is the answer to your 2nd Query:

You must either connect to a Windows Server AD Environment that you manage OR connect to Azure AD DS Domain.

For WVD, there is no need to create a site-to-site VPN or Express Route.

If the suggested answer has solved your query, do click on "Mark as Answer" and "Up-Vote" to the answer that helped you for the benefit of the community.

Thanks.

Monday, October 21, 2019 8:42 AM