none
Major Conditional Formatting Bug / Crash - Entire application crashes when clicking conditional formatting or re-querying RRS feed

• Question

• I have a very strange problem, which seemed to get worse over the past week.  I have multiple reports in an application I am developing.  Many of these reports are bound to temporary local tables, some with built in expressions, and some bound to a query.  Regardless of the record source, I have the same problem.  I apply conditional formatting to one or more columns to check for things such as days in stock over "x" days, or checking for non blank fields, etc.  Since the day I started developing this application, I have noticed strange behavior with those conditional fields.   If you mouse over one of the fields with conditional formatting set, but not triggered (conditions not met), the mouse pointer remains a pointer, and if you click on the field nothing happens.  However if the conditional formatting is triggered, and you mouse over, the pointer becomes an "I bar" and if you click the field, Access crashes entirely.  This behavior happens in every possible scenario, record source bound to query, table, enabled/disabled, formats changed, etc.

I was at the point where I was going to just deal with it for now, but I have a much bigger problem to deal with now.  This new problem started intermittently, but is now happening every time the code runs.  When I try to call a re-query from another procedure, the entire application crashes.  I tried putting the re-query in the other module, but this didn't help.  The re-query starts, and makes it to the end of the first VBA function which populates the bound table, and on the end function tag the application crashes.  SOMETIMES I can get a run time error 2147417848 (80010108), but most of the time Access crashes before hitting the debugger.

Any advice would be appreciated.  The only way for me to solve both above behaviors is to remove all conditional formatting.  I also tried manually recreating a report, importing/exporting, compiling, compacting/repairing, etc.  This happens on ANY/ALL report with conditional formatting applied.

Tuesday, July 21, 2015 1:57 PM

Answers

• I found the problem today.  When reconstructing the report I narrowed it down to an option frame I placed in the report header.  I wanted to give users an easy way to filter by certain categories, so when the option group is clicked it applies a preset filter.  However when the report loads, the option buttons are all set to value "" which looks gray.  I had a piece of code in the report load event which set the option frame to a default value (All).

me.filteroptionframe.value = 3

That simple line of code has been in ALL my reports, some with more than one frame, since the day I started developing this application.  For some reason it started to cause the re query crash today, and it caused conditional formatting crashes since day one.  I removed that piece of code, and left it grayed out until clicked, and both problems are solved.

I have no idea why this is the case, but I suspect it has something to do with the fact reports are not supposed to be editable.  Hopefully this helps somebody else.

• Marked as answer by Nunnink23 Tuesday, July 21, 2015 9:05 PM
    Tuesday, July 21, 2015 9:05 PM

All replies

• More info to help with this issue. I found ONE field in the report will accept conditional formatting and not crash.  I checked every single property of that text box, and even copied and pasted it, then renamed and changed its control source, and the other text boxes will not accept it without crashing (if clicked or report is re queried from another sub.

It sure seems like Access is running out of memory. Is there any way to verify this?

Tuesday, July 21, 2015 3:56 PM
  • I found the problem today.  When reconstructing the report I narrowed it down to an option frame I placed in the report header.  I wanted to give users an easy way to filter by certain categories, so when the option group is clicked it applies a preset filter.  However when the report loads, the option buttons are all set to value "" which looks gray.  I had a piece of code in the report load event which set the option frame to a default value (All).

me.filteroptionframe.value = 3

That simple line of code has been in ALL my reports, some with more than one frame, since the day I started developing this application.  For some reason it started to cause the re query crash today, and it caused conditional formatting crashes since day one.  I removed that piece of code, and left it grayed out until clicked, and both problems are solved.

I have no idea why this is the case, but I suspect it has something to do with the fact reports are not supposed to be editable.  Hopefully this helps somebody else.

• Marked as answer by Nunnink23 Tuesday, July 21, 2015 9:05 PM
    Tuesday, July 21, 2015 9:05 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for sharing your solution.

Regards

Starain

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, July 22, 2015 2:51 AM
  • I have no idea why this is the case, but I suspect it has something to do with the fact reports are not supposed to be editable.  Hopefully this helps somebody else.

Hi Nunnink,

An other way of creating user flexibility in an otherwise "static" report, is to have a form where the users can select what they want. Depending on these choices a SQL-string is constructed, or a WHERE clause for the filter, that is passed to the report.

Imb.

Wednesday, July 22, 2015 6:19 AM