Design Metro app across devices

Question

• I understand that the idea of the metro style design will be able to scale on different devices from tablet, to PC, to Windows Phone. However it is easier to imagine on PC and tablet it can work the same way but on Windows Phone with very limited space, how does it work? There are two scenarios: 1. I develop the metro app and it can be applied on different devices. And on windows phone it just scales down automatically like what responsive design does. 2, I develop the metro app for tablet and PC, but I have to do a seprate development process for the Win Phone.

Which one is right? or neither?

Friday, May 25, 2012 1:19 AM

Answers

• Remember you are required to provide a Snap view to get into the store.  That view is basically the same as the phone layout right?  Once you have that defined that view you can leverage that UI elsewhere (phone).

-Jeff

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

Friday, May 25, 2012 12:21 PM
  • I think this is going to be a common issue -

I suspect, the most common means, will be to design the logic to work anywhere.  Most of the ViewModel layer can work seamlessly, but I suspect there will be some specific differences in the UI/ViewLayer for a phone form factor vs. tablet/pc form factor.  If you stick to an architectural pattern like MVVM, this is fairly easy to handle by just having a separate xaml layer, though.

This tends to be the way things are done in the iOS and Android world - most (good) applications have separate versions for phone and tablet, which is mainly just separate UI screens to handle the difference in form factor.

Reed Copsey, Jr. - http://reedcopsey.com
    If a post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post and "Mark as Helpful".

• Marked as answer by Bob_Bao Thursday, June 7, 2012 9:22 AM
    Friday, May 25, 2012 1:57 AM

All replies

• I think this is going to be a common issue -

I suspect, the most common means, will be to design the logic to work anywhere.  Most of the ViewModel layer can work seamlessly, but I suspect there will be some specific differences in the UI/ViewLayer for a phone form factor vs. tablet/pc form factor.  If you stick to an architectural pattern like MVVM, this is fairly easy to handle by just having a separate xaml layer, though.

This tends to be the way things are done in the iOS and Android world - most (good) applications have separate versions for phone and tablet, which is mainly just separate UI screens to handle the difference in form factor.

Reed Copsey, Jr. - http://reedcopsey.com
    If a post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post and "Mark as Helpful".

• Marked as answer by Bob_Bao Thursday, June 7, 2012 9:22 AM
    Friday, May 25, 2012 1:57 AM
  • Remember you are required to provide a Snap view to get into the store.  That view is basically the same as the phone layout right?  Once you have that defined that view you can leverage that UI elsewhere (phone).

-Jeff

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

Friday, May 25, 2012 12:21 PM