locked
HTTP POST fails with FastCGI timeout after about 35 seconds RRS feed

  • Question

  • User-1993603107 posted

    Hi,

    We have configured (in PHP.ini):

    max_execution_time = 30     ; Maximum execution time of each script, in seconds
    max_input_time = 60 ; Maximum amount of time each script may spend parsing request data
    memory_limit = 128M      ; Maximum amount of memory a script may consume (128MB)
    post_max_size = 51M
    upload_max_filesize = 51M

    and in FCGIext.ini:

    [Types]
    PHP=C:\Program Files (x86)\PHP\php-cgi.exe
    [C:\Program Files (x86)\PHP\php-cgi.exe]
    QueueLength=1000
    MaxInstances=8
    InstanceTimeout=120
    InstanceMaxRequests=200

    Using the following test URL:
    http://www.anamera.com/upl.htm
    we are able to upload a 50 MB file using an Ethernet connection in under 35 seconds. So there is no apparent "size" limit.  However, if we test at slow Internet speeds, then the upload terminates at some point after 35 seconds (up to 75 seconds) with the FastCGI timeout message - even though the timeout value has been set to 120 seconds AND IIS was stopped/restarted after making those changes:

    FastCGI Handler Extension


    Error 0x800703e3 occurred processing request.

    The FastCGI process exceeded configured activity timeout

    Wednesday, March 21, 2007 1:42 PM

All replies

  • User2020642139 posted

    Hi Andy,

    You could try the following setting in FCGIext.ini

    ActivityTimeout=300

    Wednesday, March 21, 2007 1:45 PM
  • User-1993603107 posted

    Thanks Alex - I certainly could try any number, that's why I changed it from 60 to 90 and then 120.

    Would you care to elaborate why a timeout of 300 seconds would do what a timeout value of 120 seconds doesn't accomplish? Considering that the upload fails way EARLIER than the 120 seconds that are already configured? In most cases it fails in under 50 seconds?

    Here are a round of most recent tests (with the timeout of 120 seconds for FastCGI):

    1.320 KB - uploaded OK

    2.259 KB - uploaded OK

    4.440 KB - FastCGI failure message after 75 (!) seconds

     

    2.524 KB - FastCGI failure message after 40 seconds

    another try same file

    2.524 KB - FastCGI failure message after 45 seconds

     

    2.288 KB - uploaded OK

     

    another try same 2.524 KB file as before

    2.524 KB - FastCGI failure message after 46 seconds

     

    another try same 4.440 KB file as before

    4.440 KB - FastCGI failure message after 66 seconds

     

    another try, same 2.288 KB that uploaded OK before

    2.288 KB - FastCGI failure message after 36 seconds

     

    Wednesday, March 21, 2007 1:50 PM
  • User-1993603107 posted

    PS:

    a few other settings, in case they are relevant:

    cgi.check_shebang_line 1 1
    cgi.fix_pathinfo 1 1
    cgi.force_redirect 0 0
    cgi.nph 0 0
    cgi.redirect_status_env no value no value
    cgi.rfc2616_headers 0 0
    fastcgi.impersonate 1 1
    fastcgi.logging 1 1

    Wednesday, March 21, 2007 2:20 PM
  • User-1993603107 posted

    Hi Alex,

    I changed it to:

    InstanceTimeout=300

    and had the staff re-test. It did not improve the amount of time it took before the uploads failed. (If anything, some file sizes that had worked before, were now failing - but that may just be conindicental).

    Best Regards,
    Andy

    Wednesday, March 21, 2007 2:47 PM
  • User-1993603107 posted

    I apologize, I didn't read thoroughly enough.

    I had configured the "InstanceTimeout=300" and I only learned today that this documented parameter had apparently been deprecated!

    I now noticed that you were referring to the new ActivityTimeout parameter - and, indeed, after setting THAT parameter to 300, it appears as if I'm making progress.

    We will do more testing but first results are promising.

    Best Regards,

    Andy

    Wednesday, March 21, 2007 5:17 PM
  • User-679828332 posted

    Hi Andy,

    Thanks for reporting this bug! We are currently working on getting a fix out.

    The problem is as you suspected: POST data being sent is not currently counting as "activity" for the activityTimeout setting.

    Thanks,

    Rick.

    Thursday, March 22, 2007 1:28 AM