none
when snapshots and saved states are not allowed RRS feed

• Question

• hello,

At a hyper-v host with windows 2008 r2 sp1, i understand that the virtual machines have some limitations. Correct me if i am wrong.

If the virtual machine is win 2008 r2 sp1 with exchange 2010, it is not allowed to save state of the system while running because exchange server's database is considered live state data and will become inconsistent. This also goes for a virtual server with win 2008 r2 sp1 and active directory since ad database has the same issue. I am not sure if this also applies to SQL 2008 database, please explain that.

What if I want these virtual servers to take a snapshot? Am i allowed to take it while they run? While they are powered off? I think that for AD service i may get a USN rollback incosistency and lose replication with additional AD domain controllers. Is this correct? Is this detail valid if the AD server is powered off when taking a snapshot? What About exchange 2007, 2010 and SQL 2008 and 2008 R2?

Thank you,

Alexander Skordos Network Engineer Gold Certified Professional Geniusnet SA - Hellas
    Thursday, November 3, 2011 10:26 AM

Answers

• I also asked the question in technet forum, will update with a link if I get an answer.
    Alexander Skordos Network Engineer Gold Certified Professional Geniusnet SA - Hellas
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 9:15 AM