11. How do I troubleshoot “the breakpoint was not hit” issue? RRS feed

Answers

• 1.         Make sure the latest SPs/hotfixes are downloaded and installed properly

2.         The following project are configured correctly
    in ASP.NET project, ASP.NET debugger is checked
    in SQL Server project,  SQL/CLR Debugging is allowed on the data connection
    in Silverlight project, Silverlight debugger is checked

3.         Make sure Visual Studio is in Debug mode since code in debug mode is not optimized

4.         Open Processes window (Debug -> Windows -> Processes), make sure the current debugging type is expected type

• Marked as answer by MSDN FAQ Monday, May 24, 2010 8:58 AM
    Monday, May 24, 2010 8:58 AM

All replies

• 1.         Make sure the latest SPs/hotfixes are downloaded and installed properly

2.         The following project are configured correctly
    in ASP.NET project, ASP.NET debugger is checked
    in SQL Server project,  SQL/CLR Debugging is allowed on the data connection
    in Silverlight project, Silverlight debugger is checked

3.         Make sure Visual Studio is in Debug mode since code in debug mode is not optimized

4.         Open Processes window (Debug -> Windows -> Processes), make sure the current debugging type is expected type

• Marked as answer by MSDN FAQ Monday, May 24, 2010 8:58 AM
    Monday, May 24, 2010 8:58 AM
  • I have some particular issues that relate to this, and I'd like to know the fastest way to deal with my older revision of Visual Studio, (2005), and an exe file that seems to make itself known with my enhansed version of this problem - vshost.exe. 

I am trying to debug a copy of my solution, with many projects & directories.  I have copied over all the directories for the solution to a new directory, where I want to make updates, while keeping the previous version in its original directory.  A number of my .cs files are referred to when an error pops up stating that the code does not match the file being run, and suggesting that a rebuild be done.  I HAVE BUILT & REBUILT the entire solution many times, but I still get this error.  I've tried power shutdowns and restarting the PC, with limited success in the past, but it is getting worse, and I've seen a window pop up try to initiate a questionable connection with some remote location - I think this directly refers to the vshost.exe file.

I need a fast solution that I can get going right away,while I wait for a purchase of an updated VS, i.e.  I need something I can do without a purchase order. It sounds like there are a few updates that might address my issues, so i'd like to know what updates provide the most progress toward these kinds of issues.  If this vshost.exe is an attempt at the microsoft code to fix the problem, I'd like to know about that, as it does not seem like an authorized Microsoft upgrade, but I am not sure.

Please let me know if there is a better place to ask about this as well.

Thank you.

Bill.

Tuesday, March 29, 2011 4:09 PM