News item as a separate XAP RRS feed

• Question

• If a have a regular website (asp.net) with News page I usually can add/remove news items from CMS. I want to do the same in my SL website. I figured there's no way of having an editor for news like we do in HTML (except for RichTextSomeControl). So I have an idea to design every piece of news in Blend separately, create a XAP file for it and upload on the website where it's picked up (by MEF?). Is this possible to do? Or are there a better idea?

Thank you.

Alex

Tuesday, April 20, 2010 6:25 AM

Answers

• Hi Alvipeo,

Currently,  we can show inline images like this.

<RichTextBox>
                <Paragraph>
                    Displaying text with inline image
                    <InlineUIContainer>
                        <Image Source="images/142.jpg" Height="300" Width="300" />
                    </InlineUIContainer>
                </Paragraph>    

</RichTextBox>

Therefore, if you are using it for some simple scenarios,  it is ok.

Best regards,

Jonathan

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 10:40 PM

All replies

• Here's a free SL3/4 rich text box editor:

http://www.vectorlight.net/controls/rich_text_editor.aspx

Tuesday, April 20, 2010 6:53 AM
  • Thank you but that's not what I'm looking for. The news item can have images, gallery and other rich content. So I thought a designer could create this in Blend, make a XAP from it and upload to website. That would be great to have.
    Tuesday, April 20, 2010 10:15 AM
  • Hi Alvipeo, 

So I have an idea to design every piece of news in Blend separately, create a XAP file for it and upload on the website where it's picked up (by MEF?). Is this possible to do? Or are there a better idea?

What you required are supported partially in Silverlight 3/4.

So I have an idea to design every piece of news in Blend separately, create a XAP file for it and upload on the website where it's picked up (by MEF?). Is this possible to do? Or are there a better idea?

Do you want to seperate all content into different xaps and conbine them into one which makes it like a news item?   It sounds possible.  However, this will make it to be complicated.  Currently, I haven't found a suitable control for your case.  Thanks for your post.

Best regards,

Jonathan 

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 5:02 AM
  • Well, all I want is to have someone (designer or webmaster) to have a possibility to update news on a website. And every news item can have rich content. Basically, to have the same functionality we have in regular websites. But that seems to be complicated with SL.
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 9:02 AM
  • Hi Alvipeo,

Currently,  we can show inline images like this.

<RichTextBox>
                <Paragraph>
                    Displaying text with inline image
                    <InlineUIContainer>
                        <Image Source="images/142.jpg" Height="300" Width="300" />
                    </InlineUIContainer>
                </Paragraph>    

</RichTextBox>

Therefore, if you are using it for some simple scenarios,  it is ok.

Best regards,

Jonathan

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 10:40 PM