none
Deploying a custom ribbon for PowerPoint RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I am using Visual Studio 2012 to develop a custom ribbon tab for PowerPoint. The function of the ribbon is to enable the team with templates and tools by making them more readily available through the tab (rather than digging through files and folders).

I am trying to figure out how to deploy this custom ribbon on my colleagues' computers. I developed the ribbon on my personal drive and copied and pasted the entire folder to our shared drive. When I download the VSTO Deployment Manifest file in the bin\Debug folder created automatically by the program, the ribbon works. However, when I try to make changes to the file, the ribbon disappears. When I go to the COM Add-In's form within PPT, it says that the add in did not load properly (yet it was working before).

Any thoughts on how to fix this? Or other methods of deploying the ribbon?

Thanks!

Ivana

Wednesday, April 20, 2016 7:55 PM

Answers

• Hi Ivana1,

• Here you have asked about methods of deploying the ribbon.

I want to tell you that we can deploy vsto solutions in 2 ways.

1. using click once
    2. using windows installer

for getting more information regarding deploying the vsto solutions please visit the links below.

Deploying an Office Solution

Deploying an Office Solution by Using ClickOnce

Deploying an Office Solution by Using Windows Installer

Regards

Deepak

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by Ivana1 Thursday, May 19, 2016 8:41 PM
    Thursday, April 21, 2016 1:59 AM
  • Hi

you want to change your ribbon that means you want to update your ribbon.

the link I have provided you before has this description too. kindly check it I have pasted it below.

To update a solution, you publish it again by using the Project Designer or Publish Wizard, and then you copy the updated solution to the installation location. When you copy the files to the installation location, make sure that you overwrite the previous files.

The next time that the solution checks for an update, it’ll find and load the new version automatically.

Regards

Deepak

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Tuesday, April 26, 2016 3:58 AM

All replies

• Hi Ivana1,

• Here you have asked about methods of deploying the ribbon.

I want to tell you that we can deploy vsto solutions in 2 ways.

1. using click once
    2. using windows installer

for getting more information regarding deploying the vsto solutions please visit the links below.

Deploying an Office Solution

Deploying an Office Solution by Using ClickOnce

Deploying an Office Solution by Using Windows Installer

Regards

Deepak

• Marked as answer by Ivana1 Thursday, May 19, 2016 8:41 PM
    Thursday, April 21, 2016 1:59 AM
  • Thanks for your quick response Deepak. It seems to be working! Went with the ClickOnce option.

A follow up question for you. Let's say I want to make a change to my ribbon, is there a way for this to automatically be pushed to the user without re-publishing? If I re-publish a new version, the user has to uninstall the current version and re-install the new one. Would like for it to be more seamless but not sure if it's possible.

Thanks!

Ivana

• Edited by Ivana1 Monday, April 25, 2016 3:17 PM
    Monday, April 25, 2016 3:16 PM
  • Hi

you want to change your ribbon that means you want to update your ribbon.

the link I have provided you before has this description too. kindly check it I have pasted it below.

To update a solution, you publish it again by using the Project Designer or Publish Wizard, and then you copy the updated solution to the installation location. When you copy the files to the installation location, make sure that you overwrite the previous files.

The next time that the solution checks for an update, it’ll find and load the new version automatically.

Regards

Deepak

Tuesday, April 26, 2016 3:58 AM
  • Thank you very much! It worked!!
    Wednesday, April 27, 2016 12:45 PM
  • Hi Ivana1,

If you find any of the above post had help you to solve your issue then I would like to suggest you that mark that suggestion as Answer. so that if some other community member have same issue like you can also get solution by that post.

Regards

Deepak

Thursday, April 28, 2016 5:09 AM