none
Retain data from a linked workbook. RRS feed

• Question

• I have an issue where a shared workbook located on a shared drive is being deleted.  I am proposing a workaround: I want to place the shared workbook on the shared drive and then link a local workbook to the shared workbook.  What I need to know is: if the workbook on the shared drive gets deleted, can I still retain the last updated data in the linked workbook on the local drive?

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Chris W.

Saturday, November 15, 2014 7:29 PM

Answers

• Hi Chris W,

Thanks for posting in MSDN forum.

Based on the description, you want to get a workaround after you delete the linked workbook on the shared drive, you still need to retain the last updated data in the linked workbook.

In my option, it is impossible. Since the source data didn't exist, we can hardly get it back. As a workaround, you may consider to backup the shared workbook then retrieve the data from backup workbook.

Also you may consider limited the delete permission for the shared files.

Hope it is helpful.

Regards & Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, November 17, 2014 2:18 AM