Need a couple clarifications please RRS feed

• Question

• My company is planning on doing some Pocket PC development in the near future and I have been asked to look into which version of Visual Studio we would need to get. Currently we have either VS 2003 or 2005 Standard in mind. We know 2003 will work for sure but I have a couple questions regarding 2005 that I have not been able to find clear answers on.

1. Does 2005 COMPLETELY with no issues support development for Pocket PC 2003 SE devices using the 1.0 .Net compact framework or do we have to use the 2.0 framework?

2. Can the "streamlined" interface of the Standard edition be un-streamlined to make it work like the Pro edition (with obviously the extra Pro features missing from the menus)?

If anyone can shed any light on these questions it would be very thankful.
    Thursday, December 8, 2005 10:57 PM

Answers

• 1. Yes, it does.
    2. If you do that, it would be EULA violation.

Thursday, December 8, 2005 11:23 PM
  • I don’t believe anything is missing in mobile development. Note STD has only “Click Once” deployment support which is not available for devices.

You would need some 3rd party tools to create desktop installer for your mobile product with STD SKU.

By the way, you can order evaluation copy of VS 2005 Pro and above:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/products/trial/

Friday, December 9, 2005 1:00 AM
  • I've never seen STD SKU, so can't tell you if it has device CAB project or not. Since it’s a deployment project, it might be gone in STD.

If that’s the case, you can build CAB easily using command line or in a post build action. Crafting INF file for a CAB is not a rocket science and is well documented on MSDN.

Friday, December 9, 2005 5:59 PM

All replies

• 1. Yes, it does.
    2. If you do that, it would be EULA violation.

Thursday, December 8, 2005 11:23 PM
  • Thank you for the quick answer.

With regard to the "streamlined" interface. What sorts of things did they remove in the Standard edition? Is there anywhere (other than the product comparison page on MSDN) that lists in detail what features are and are not available in the Standard vs Pro editions? I just don't want us getting the Standard edition (which "appears" to have everything we need) only to find out later that we need this one special menu item that's only in the Pro edition.

Thanks!
    Thursday, December 8, 2005 11:34 PM
  • I don’t believe anything is missing in mobile development. Note STD has only “Click Once” deployment support which is not available for devices.

You would need some 3rd party tools to create desktop installer for your mobile product with STD SKU.

By the way, you can order evaluation copy of VS 2005 Pro and above:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/products/trial/

Friday, December 9, 2005 1:00 AM
  • So this brings me to the next question. Is it possible to create the correct CAB file using the Standard VS? We don't need the desktop installer since the application will be installed directly on the PPC through the web and never from a desktop PC.

Friday, December 9, 2005 3:27 PM
  • I've never seen STD SKU, so can't tell you if it has device CAB project or not. Since it’s a deployment project, it might be gone in STD.

If that’s the case, you can build CAB easily using command line or in a post build action. Crafting INF file for a CAB is not a rocket science and is well documented on MSDN.

Friday, December 9, 2005 5:59 PM
  • Thank you for all the help
    Friday, December 9, 2005 7:52 PM