Web Application Administration problem RRS feed

• Question

• User455089425 posted

I downloaded the Personal Web Site Starter kit and attempted to run the Administration tool through Visual Web Developer 2008 express but it just says "An error was encountered. Please return to the previous page and try again." I am not using any sort of separate server software, just the ASP.NET development server. I have very limited knowledge in web development so any help would be great.

Andy

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 12:26 AM

Answers

• User-1705717250 posted

Do you have a app_data folder in the website check that you have write access to it?

Did you make any changes to the web.config yet, maybe the connectionstring?

Do you have sql express server installed and running?

Hope it helps, let know how you get on.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, July 16, 2008 3:07 PM

All replies

• User-1959498717 posted

checks IIS permission etc..

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 2:08 PM
  • User-1705717250 posted

Do you have a app_data folder in the website check that you have write access to it?

Did you make any changes to the web.config yet, maybe the connectionstring?

Do you have sql express server installed and running?

Hope it helps, let know how you get on.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, July 16, 2008 3:07 PM
  • User455089425 posted

Thanks, the problem was that I had not set my Windows account as an administrator of my SQL server.

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 5:22 PM
  • User1020159133 posted

Pls I'm new to this, I have the same problem... how do you set windows accound as an administrator of SQL server.

Saturday, July 19, 2008 4:59 AM
  • User-1705717250 posted

To manually grant access to the ASP.NET user run the application commands from the command line:

For Windows Server 2003 family systems running IIS 6.0, replace <ASP.NET User Account> with 'NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE' in the following commands.
    For all other cases replace <ASP.NET User Account> with 'MACHINENAME\ASPNET' where MACHINENAME is the name of your computer.
    If you are working with the in build dev web server in vwd then enter your computername\yourusername

osql -E -S (local)\SQLExpress -Q "sp_grantlogin <ASP.NET User Account>"
    osql -E -S (local)\SQLExpress -d ASPNETDB -Q "sp_grantdbaccess <ASP.NET User Account>"
    osql -E -S (local)\SQLExpress -d ASPNETDB -Q "sp_addrolemember 'db_owner', <ASP.NET User Account>"

Note: The path to the osql.exe command must be located in your PATH environment variable

Hope it helps

Saturday, July 19, 2008 11:07 AM
  • User-1705717250 posted

Or you could do the following with a SQL Query (Using vwd or sql management studio)

To allow the Network Service account to manipulate data for the membership feature
    (Change the user name as in the above post):

--Create a SQL Server login for the Network Service account
    sp_grantlogin 'NT AUTHORITY\Network Service'

--Grant the login access to the membership database
    USE aspnetdb
    GO
    sp_grantdbaccess 'NT AUTHORITY\Network Service', 'Network Service'

-- Add user to database role
    USE aspnetdb
    GO
    sp_addrolemember 'aspnet_Membership_FullAccess', 'Network Service'
    Hope it helps

Saturday, July 19, 2008 11:15 AM
  • User1098614114 posted

I had the same problem. After a lot of convoluted and confusing solution attempts over several hours, the solution was remarkably simple: Detach the aspnetdb.mdf database.

This is probably an obvious fix, but if the poster is anything like me--a total newbie--it wasn't.

Cheers,

Bradley

Tuesday, February 10, 2009 1:38 AM