MVC + Enterprise Library RRS feed

• Question

• User1064071399 posted

Not a MVC specific question, but as that's what I'm doing I thought I'll post here.

While looking into the source code of an existing application, I stumbled upon MS Enterprise Library, and as I only heard about these "application block" stuff decided to look into it.

From the theory it sounds like a pretty usefull thing and it made me wonder if other's are using it succesfully along with MVC projects (I know they are not really related!)?

Pro's and Con's? 

I like the database block, as I did not get to any real database development the last 1.5 years, for instance. (Bad excuse I know).  Having an IoC thrown in there (Unity) sounds like I can pretty much stop using 3rd party libraries like I do now all over the place.

Thursday, August 12, 2010 11:59 AM

All replies

• User197322208 posted

database block is pretty good - but really outdated (EF4 iswhat I need  - and now, for Razor, they are re-inventing System.Data)

logging block - log4net outperformed (configuratiion and speed) 4 years ago

About unity ... do not know. It comes too late on the marked ( I use structuremap)

Having an IoC thrown in there (Unity) sounds like I can pretty much stop using 3rd party libraries like I do now all over the place.

So you are replacing a third party with another ? Until is not build into framework, it is third party ;-)

Thursday, August 12, 2010 1:54 PM
  • User1064071399 posted

EF is more an ORM no?  (Though I did not look much into this db block yet, so not sure exactly what it is.)  For this job I'll make extensive use of sproc's, and does not look like they fancy ORM's there. But then, looking at the existing Asp.Net WebForms app.....uurgh.

You talk about things being outdated, but seems this Enterprise Library I read up are pretty new (5) and support only .net 3.5 and 4.0. Not that I want to disagree on something I know zit about. 

So you are replacing a third party with another ? Until is not build into framework, it is third party ;-)

Well, it's from Microsoft eh?

Thursday, August 12, 2010 5:24 PM
  • User197322208 posted

For this job I'll make extensive use of sproc's, and does not look like they fancy ORM's there

Please look at EF4. They changed the way that deal with sproc ...more ,easy, even binding with classes.

Well, it's from Microsoft eh?

Until it's not into the framework, it's third party for me ( no assurance will live and/or will be developed continously )

Thursday, August 12, 2010 11:46 PM
  • User-1088523913 posted

Enterprise Library is like a plug and play component for your application to do scross cutting tasks like logging, exception handling etc. It also has the features for managing data access and configurations.

MVC does not restrict you from using a particular type of  framework.  MVC gives various extensitibility points and you can plug in the framework or tool of your choice. For e.g. you can use any of the IoC framework like Spring.Net or NInject. Similarly for anything related to infrastructure plumbing like logging & exception handling, you could use whatever you want.

Friday, August 13, 2010 4:27 AM
  • User1064071399 posted

Please look at EF4. They changed the way that deal with sproc ...more ,easy, even binding with classes.

Did that this evening.  Sounded good, until I did a quick check, and found just what I was afraid of : http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2500609/using-ef-4-on-net-3-5-sp1

Can only use .net 3.5 at this stage at work, and from the bits I've read earlier versions of EF are just not worth it compared to nHibernate for instance.  :-(

Anyhow, I'll use that Data Application Block for now.  Just in a better way other's at office are using it (thightly coupled beyond believe), and can always swap out the tier's implementation at a later stage.

Thanks for the advice, appreciated as always.

Friday, August 13, 2010 6:15 PM