What is the best way (right way) to version software that is under development? RRS feed

• Question

• I am developing a couple of applications for my company using Visual Studio 2008 Pro.  As I work on the application, I would like to version it using the Major Minor Build Revision convention, so that when I get to a functional state I can save the application for reference, then move forward developing a copy. 

How do I do that?  What I have been doing is just using Windows to create a copy of the project folder and appending the version number to the end of the name of the folder, then opening the original project and incrementing the build number on the in the My Project -> Application -> Assembly Information... window.

This feels, to me, like an amateurish work around.  I feel that there must be a more elegant way (right way) to do this.  Does Visual Studio have a built in process for saving functional versions of an application while incrementing the version number and moving forward with development?  Can some more experienced developers offer me some guidence?

Thank you.
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 2:47 PM

Answers

All replies