What is? aka "tooltip"

General discussion

• Dear Microsoft and the MSDN,

I don't know if this is so much of a question as it is a suggestion.

I'm sure all you pros will agree that tool tips are ridiculously useless because we're pros and we know everything. I personally just use them as notations in my brainstorming mock-ups for the "what the heck was I thinking when I put that there" moment. As developers, it's our duty to develop for the end assumers. You know, the people we assume are silicone rocket scientists like ourselves.

Case in point: I confess, the simplicity, accessibility, and abundance of user friendly applications without silly tool tips turned me into an avid consumer of the forbidden fruit. I love that you either have a "doh" moment initiating a function you didn't want, or you have to go through the daunting task of browsing help screens, user guides, websites, and forums to answer the question "WHAT IS?"

Anyways, my question is: How will the mouse over tooltips and right click work in a touch environment?

(might I suggest: tap once=tooltip and drop down options; tap twice=execute.) 

Also, could you please add some tooltip descriptions for the options/accessories available in the download package manager.

Thanks,

Z TLAW    

Sunday, November 6, 2011 1:57 PM

All replies

• Great question!

I hope you don't mind a comment from another user...

Personally I see this as just another reason why "touch screen" will never be able to replace "mouse and keyboard", beyond the obvious difficulties with accuracy and speed. 

Microsoft seems to be heading in the direction that "simpler is better" and "more simpler is more better", without stopping to think that sometimes there's a necessary level of complexity that yields richness in a user interface.  Richness is power!

That Microsoft seems to be leaving the traditional UI behind is tantamount to thinking finger painting can replace painting with traditional artists' tools.

I urge Microsoft to keep this in mind:

Make everything as simple as possible, but no simpler.

-Noel

Sunday, November 6, 2011 5:01 PM