none
Cannot Remove BOM RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have tried to remove the BOM from my site using tools/page editor options/authoring and unchecked all that would add a BOM. It is still there no matter which method I try including code view and right clicking encoding. The box to check not to add BOM is grey-out and inaccessible. I use  expressionweb4. My other sites are set-up the same way an no BOM is seen. Any help/ideas?

Thank you in advance!

Monday, May 5, 2014 5:36 PM

All replies

• If the BOM check box is greyed out, reference the help documentation for BOMs: "The option Include a byte order mark (BOM) is not available if Save the document as is not set to Unicode (UTF-8)." Change your "Save As" encoding accordingly.

Monday, May 5, 2014 8:06 PM
  • Hello, Thank you. This has been tried and does not work. The help guide offers this solution but the encoding is sent to automatic and does not change when saved and the box to not include the BOM is always greyed out. Any other thoughts? Appreciate any and all help.
    Tuesday, May 27, 2014 10:17 PM
  • No, but ... unless it's a PHP page, what harm does the BOM do?  What problem are you trying to solve?

But also: You didn't directly answer my question about the encoding.  There are two lines, one that shows the "save the document as" encoding and one that shows the "reload the document as" encoding.  That second one can be automatic, but the first one has to be UTF-8 for the BOM box to be checkable/uncheckable.  If it's not, try reloading the document as UTF-8.

• Edited by KathyW2 Wednesday, May 28, 2014 3:24 PM
    Wednesday, May 28, 2014 3:16 AM