Windows mobile 6.0 classic accessing Window Server 2008 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I am using Windows mobile 6.0 classic PDA's , I want to use wireless to access my service on the server(Win 2008), what should be my settings in the PDA network management? here's what my settings which works for some PDA's and for some it works for some time and stops? and for some PDA's similar settings does not work at all??

"Programs that connect to the internet..."   = ISP

"Programs that connect to a private network..." = My Work Network

BTW what is this My work network ??? i don't understand  as my PDA's use wireless (with proxy) i wud guess ISP to both should work right? but when i change second option to ISP as well the PDA that can connect to internet and server thru PDA IE but not through .netCF application will not get connected at all, but will work fine (apart from .netCF application accessing the server) if i change the second option back to My work network, so basically PDA is not using the first option of ISP at all ??

All i want to know is

1.) correct settings for WM 6.0 classic  wirelessly accesing server 2008 with proxy

2) explain what is my work network ?

Thanks

gauls

gauls
    Friday, June 18, 2010 9:01 AM

All replies

• 1. If you can access internet then it's OK.

2. Work network is just that - your work network. As in network at your place of business. These are just names intended for easy switching between different network locations.

You seem to be missing important step:

3. Server connection to the Internet.

Unless your server has external IP address accessible on the internet you won't be able to reach it from device using your ISP.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, June 18, 2010 4:44 PM
  • Hi

Server connection to the Internet.

Do you mean Server has internet connection? Server can access internet no problem and has an IP address that all 80 PDA's are using , i guess if server didn't have internet connection then most of the PDA's won't connect at all, in my case some PDA's gets connected then after some time stops working (connection lost to the server), Some of them doesn't connect at all. Signal strengh of wireless is excellent.

if PDA IE can access the Server and also the internet, why not my application ????

Which option from the network management IE uses? ISP or my work network?? I wud guess in a wireless environment the PDA's should use ISP.

Thanks

Gauls

gauls
    Tuesday, June 22, 2010 12:38 PM
  • No. I meant server is accessible from the internet, not server has access to the internet. It must have IP address which is visible from the internet if it needs to be accessed by devices which have internet connection only. Alternatively your server and devices must be on the same internal network, whatever physical (e.g. Wi-Fi) or VPN.

Don't guess - verify. Call your network administrator and make sure there's a proper connection. There also can be more complex cases, e.g. where device is establishing VPN to the internal network. Again, network administrator should be able to clarify that.

IE uses whatever it is configured to use - please check out IE configuration. It really can be anything - these are just configuration names settings are intended for. You can configure them to represent whatever connection.

• Marked as answer by warrentang Thursday, June 24, 2010 2:43 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by gauls Friday, June 25, 2010 2:38 PM
    Tuesday, June 22, 2010 4:14 PM
  • Hi Ilya,

To confirm server can be accessed from internet. And both server and devices are on the same Wi-fi.

The problem is

Some PDA's can get access to the server and  then loses the connection but IE can still access the internet? so i cannot prove that it is a PDA problem.

thanks

Gauls

gauls
    Friday, June 25, 2010 2:46 PM
  • OK, so can you ping server from device as it happens? Can you access server via IE? What about server licenses, e.g. do you have enough CALs?
    Friday, June 25, 2010 3:42 PM
  • Hi ILya,

Server = Windows server 2008 IIS7.0

device= CF2.0 windows mobile 6.0 o/s

The administrator confirms the devices and server are on same WIFi network but different subnet masks, i don't know what does this mean will that make any difference?

Second point =Server can be accesed by PDA IE,

Third point =Is there any way to restrict number of PDA calls to the server via IIS7 or O/S ?

Thanks

Gauls

gauls
    Monday, June 28, 2010 10:24 AM
  • That depends. It might mean misconfiguration of the network.

Sure, you can restrict number of connection (does not matter whatever it's PDA or not) to both IIS and OS.

Monday, June 28, 2010 4:21 PM
  • Can you please explain how (restrict number of connection (does not matter whatever it's PDA or not) to both IIS and OS) ?

Thanks

gauls

gauls
    Tuesday, June 29, 2010 7:18 AM
  • Sorry, that is beyond the scoop of this form, try Windows Server and/or IIS forums instead.

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 11:39 PM
  • Alright to confirm nothing wrong with IIS and O/S. coming back to PDA

why would PDA IE work and not the application simple web service calls.?

What port does PDA IE use? and whats the default port used by .netcf application to to make web service calls?

gauls
    Wednesday, June 30, 2010 2:37 PM
  • Don't know. May be due to limitations on the server.

Same port as any other browser. Same port as any other application. By default that would be port 80 but can be overridden in the URL.

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 3:58 PM
  • Thats the confusion if IE and my application are using the same port why IE can connect and my app cannot?
    gauls
    Friday, July 16, 2010 8:36 AM
  • May be it's not using the same port. May be it's not configured correctly, e.g. you have wrong URL for a service in your application. May be it needs authentication set in your application. May be it need proxy settings.

You could use tools like NETCF Network Log Viewer  (comes with NETCF Power Toys) to see what exactly your application is hitting. Using network monitor and checking IIS logs on a server another good thing to do.

Friday, July 16, 2010 5:54 PM