Hiding driectories for certian ftp users RRS feed

• Question

• User-320952617 posted

Here is what I'm trying to do.  I have one AD account that has writes to everything.  Let's call that user1.  User1 logs into ftp server and can see everthing and access it all fine.  User2 is in a group that only has rights to one directory.  In IIS I gave that user authorization to the one directory.  User2 logs into ftp site and can only access the one directory as would be expected.  But I would like to set it up so user2 only see's the one directory.  I have not been able to figure out how to hide all the rest for user2.  

Any help would be appreciated.

Wednesday, April 1, 2009 12:04 PM

Answers

• User-320952617 posted

I have the directory that I want user2 to access as his home directory in AD.  Are you refering to using the user isolation then in IIS?  Because when I try that neither of my accounts can log in.  I get user cannot login in,  home directory inaccessible.  Not sure what I'm doing wrong. 

Edit:  I figured it out.  Instead of using isolation I just changed it to user name directory.  and it works!

It still would be nice to be able to pick and choose what dir's to display for users.  If there is a way i'd like to know.

thanks again.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Tuesday, September 28, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, April 1, 2009 2:35 PM

All replies

• User-907043539 posted

Hello,

It sounds like the easiest solution would be to change the Home Directory for User2 to point to the desired directory you want them to be able to access. This would limit User2 to only their directory, and prevent them from going up a directory to see User1's folders.

Hope this helps!

Wednesday, April 1, 2009 12:21 PM
  • User-320952617 posted

I have the directory that I want user2 to access as his home directory in AD.  Are you refering to using the user isolation then in IIS?  Because when I try that neither of my accounts can log in.  I get user cannot login in,  home directory inaccessible.  Not sure what I'm doing wrong. 

Edit:  I figured it out.  Instead of using isolation I just changed it to user name directory.  and it works!

It still would be nice to be able to pick and choose what dir's to display for users.  If there is a way i'd like to know.

thanks again.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Tuesday, September 28, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, April 1, 2009 2:35 PM
  • User-1931979227 posted

You can do something like this by setting the NTFS permissions on directories you want hidden from some users, then do a little trick to make them hidden in directory listings over FTP.  Its described here:

http://bals-brain.com/Only_see_folders_users_have_access_to_with_FTP.htm

Thursday, September 20, 2012 3:32 PM