does coded UI support silver light5 appliactions for automation RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi ,

can we do automation using codedui for silverlight5 application. when i try to record actions of silverlight5 application using coded ui  i got the following error. Thanks in advance !!!

Monday, July 9, 2012 6:09 AM

All replies

• Hi

Not out of the Box. For VS2010 you need Feature Pack 2 to automate Silverlight 4 application.

For VS 2012 please go through http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudioalm/archive/2012/07/08/ui-test-plugin-for-silverlight-applications.aspx (Silverlight 4 and 5 application)

Thanks & Regards Siddhartha

Monday, July 9, 2012 6:21 AM
  • Hi Siddhartha,

Thanks a lot for u r reply !!!

what i understand is VS 2010 will support only silverlight4 not silverlight5. to automate silverlight5 application we should use VS 2012.Please correct me if i am wrong!

so i tried automating silverlight4 application. please see the steps I folowed. my machine is set up with  Win7 Proffesinal,sp1,visual studio 2010 ultimate,feature pack 2

1.created sample silverlight 4 solution

2.have  referred SilverlightUIAutomationHelper.dll from this location C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\VSTT\10.0\UITestExtensionPackages\SilverlightUIAutomationHelper\Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.UITest.Extension in both the projects of silverlight solution(i.e web & normal project)

3.created codedui test project,refered SilverlightUIAutomationHelper.dll  in test project also

4.have run the silverlight solution

5.try to record the  actions of silevrlight controls using codedUI

6.getting following error

Verify that the application under test is built using Silverlight assemblies with a version 4.0 or greater and that a reference to the Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.UITest.Extension.SilverlightUIAutomationHelper.dll assembly has been added to the project.

Thanks !!!!!

Tuesday, July 10, 2012 4:54 AM
  • Hi

Yes as of now Vs2010 supports automating Silverlight 4.0 application. Are you seeing this issue in VS 2010 + Silverlight 4 application?

Tuesday, July 10, 2012 5:02 AM
  • yes i am facing this issue in  VS 2010 + Silverlight 4 application

Tuesday, July 10, 2012 5:22 AM
  • are you using IE 8?

Tuesday, July 10, 2012 5:25 AM
  • i am using IE9

Thanks

Soujanya

Tuesday, July 10, 2012 5:32 AM
  • Only IE 8 is supported in VS 2010 for Silverlight application. You can run IE in IE 8 mode to make sure you are able to automate Silverlight 4 application.

PS: With VS gallery plugin which we released you can automate SL 4 and 5 on IE 8,9 and 10.

Tuesday, July 10, 2012 5:41 AM
  • Thanks a lot for valuble information you provided. will checkout the options you suggested.

Thanks again!!!!

Soujanya

Tuesday, July 10, 2012 5:43 AM
  • i have one doubt. VS gallery plugin  will it support VS2010 for automation

Thanks & Regards,
    Soujanya

Tuesday, July 10, 2012 5:59 AM
  • VS gallery plugin only install on VS 2012 RC + machines

Tuesday, July 10, 2012 6:05 AM
  • ok Thanks !!!
    Tuesday, July 10, 2012 6:06 AM